Crash in Star Wars canyon

Dandiego

Just being reported an F-18 Super Hornet has crashed in Star Wars canyon.

Condition of pilot unknown, but it looks grim. Several onlookers on the canyon rim are injured.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I have a feeling the only US National Park where the military can fly jets is going to lose that status fairly soon.

I have never heard of "Star Wars Canyon" and thought this was going to be something about the movie Star Wars!

Too bad I was wrong.

13 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I have a feeling the only US National Park where the military can fly jets is going to lose that status fairly soon.

I have never heard of "Star Wars Canyon" and thought this was going to be something about the movie Star Wars!

Too bad I was wrong.

My thoughts as well, shocked to hear it was a real incident 

very sad news

Similar incident to the crash in Whales (Mach Run?) and the RAF stood down from that flying for quit awhile. Probably the same thing will happen here. Viewing area will probably be closed to the public when it resumes operations.

Very sad news indeed.

Itch

Edited by Cajun Two One

This place has been a spotter’s paradise for ages.   Similar to the UK’s “Mach Loop”.   Believe someone just got done awesome video of an F-117 going through there.    Pilot obviously didn’t get out.   Very sad, RIP.    

11 hours ago, Cajun Two One said:

Similar incident to the crash in Whales (Mach Run?) and the RAF stood down from that flying for quit awhile. Probably the same thing will happen here. Viewing area will probably be closed to the public when it resumes operations.

Very sad news indeed.

Itch

There was no crash in the Mach Loop, the shut down of the low fly route was due to someone posting a video to social media of a pilot leaving the air space with a ‘little more flair’ than is allowed. Plus the use of the afterburners which is prohibited unless used to avoid an accident. 

I don’t think anything has crashed in the specific route known as the Mach Loop. Certainly not in my living memory I was born and raised in the area. Plenty of others have crashed in the general area over the years but the only crashes I remember growing up there were a Twin seat Jaguar colliding with a little Cessna around 1991/92 on one of the specified routes into the low fly areas of North and  Middle Wales and 2 Hawks colliding on the coast of Wales in the late 1980’s. again not actually in the loop itself. The Mach Loop is just a tiny fraction of Low Flying Area 7 which itself basically covers the whole of Wales. 

10 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

There was no crash in the Mach Loop, the shut down of the low fly route was due to someone posting a video to social media of a pilot leaving the air space with a ‘little more flair’ than is allowed. Plus the use of the afterburners which is prohibited unless used to avoid an accident. 

I don’t think anything has crashed in the specific route known as the Mach Loop. Certainly not in my living memory I was born and raised in the area. Plenty of others have crashed in the general area over the years but the only crashes I remember growing up there were a Twin seat Jaguar colliding with a little Cessna around 1991/92 on one of the specified routes into the low fly areas of North and  Middle Wales and 2 Hawks colliding on the coast of Wales in the late 1980’s. again not actually in the loop itself. The Mach Loop is just a tiny fraction of Low Flying Area 7 which itself basically covers the whole of Wales. 

ade,

Thanks for the correction, it jogged my now dwindling brain cells and yes it did not involve a crash. It may the Jag / Cessna event that I got confused with.

Itch