Spitfire fabric gun patches - how to replicate?

nmayhew

On 7/31/2019 at 1:40 PM, Out2gtcha said:

I keep trying to talk him into building models again, but those dang car forums take up all his time! 

Vroooooooom!

Yes, I remember seeing old black and white film of the guns firing on a ground synchronisation thing.

The material looked like hessian or such and was ripped and tattered as the guns fired.

I would think it was brown/ beige to start with and painted red by groundcrew.

So brown paper glued on, painted and then torn with tweezers gave a decent effect.

:D

How about Rizlas (cigarette papers)? Easy to handle and attach, plus they look appropriately in scale. Spray it red (or blue), trim off only the gummed edge and Robert's your father's brother.

I think that might be ok for certain aircraft in certain theatres.

I know my Pop said on Malta they often didn't bother with patches as it was a straight re-fuel/re-arm and off again.

They used fabric patches when they had time normally at the end of the day and these were doped on so maybe the self-adhesive ones weren't available.

Here is another thread on the patches, it mentions that if the patches were not available either nothing was used or as one poster wrote he had heard from  an RAAF armourer that they used newspaper doped on. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11379-raf-gunport-fabric-sealing-patches-colours/

Here is the late Edgar's comments on them.

The patches were self-adhesive (rather like sticking plasters,) and were pre-coloured. As well as sealing, they were an indication that the guns were loaded and cocked. There is the famous photo, of WR-D & WR-C, in the desert, and the patches are blue. After application, the patches were (usually) sealed with clear dope; if you can find the photo of VB ZD-F, the darker areas, caused by the dope, can be seen round at least two of the patches.

Edgar

Cheers

Dennis