Spitfire fabric gun patches - how to replicate?

nmayhew

hi guys,

Spitfire fabric gun patches - what's the favoured way to replicate these?

I could use decals or mask and paint, but that doesn't really capture what they are.

I seem to remember someone replicating them with tape maybe?

But I can't find the build.

It's for 1/32 scale MkI, but I guess could apply to lots of different marques and also other aircraft...

Many thanks,

Nick

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I think Phils method worked out about as well as you could hope, and with the brown color showing through, it really added to the effect.   

Now if we could just get SOMEONE to start modeling again....................  :rolleyes:  :lol: 

if someone can explain how I can post pics direct from my iphone or my mac, then i'd be happy to share the odd pic

hosting sites = ball ache and i'm done with them; it has to be seemless

the only stuff i post these days is on the MRP facebook page I'm afraid

Edited by nmayhew

Just now, nmayhew said:

if someone can explain hi can post pics direct from my iphone or my mac, then i'd be happy to share the odd pic

hosting sites = ball ache and i'm done with them; it has to be seemless

the only stuff i post these days is on the MRP facebook page I'm afraid

:lol:    Sorry mate, that wasn't directed at you...............it was directed at Phil!  :lol:      I keep trying to talk him into building models again, but those dang car forums take up all his time! 

hey no worries

i realise i used to post build threads and now don't anymore., and sort of felt I owed the community an explanation

it's not like you've missed much though - in terms of both quality and quantity; a couple of tanks since my Fw190 Dora years back and that's it!

nearing the end of my Dunkirk Spitfire which I have been using MRP properly for first time and the paints are out of this world

from what i read somewhere on here, there is a problem with apple stuff and the forum - some button for pics not showing? or maybe I imagined it?

either way, I don't see anything that allows me to post a pic direct :(

PS I only used Jennings' decals for stencils but they were awesome - super thin, and with some Microsol are now as good as 'invisible' - so please if you are going to use decals, use him!

(I am working on persuading him to continue with 'Project Mask'! B))

Edited by nmayhew
God my typing is sh*t!

I used strips of Kabuki tape from a set of Maketar paint masks, which is sort of extra thin Tamiya tape.  They were first painted after trimming....

kLuwe0.jpg

Then applied with a little bit of white glue, to ensure a firm grip on a curved surface.

7Q3A4h.jpg

HTH,

Chuck

I used to — and will hopefully again — use paper masking tape painted in red oxide, the same colour used on ships' hulls.

What sent me down that road was colour photos showing acreages of gun fabric patched under the 20mm gun troughs of armed Beaufighter and Mossie aircraft (albeit in those instances — North Africa and Italy — it looked red hand-doped fabric). 

Would probably be inclined to draw the eye away from the patching, the way cockpit colour call outs are replaced by lighter or darker colours and not spec, but that's just me. And that would probably be different with the scale, 1/24 maybe demanding a truer-to-reality match.

Tony 

I would think it would help to fill the gun port holes as well.  It seems like the tapes normally used on the ground anyway don’t show any sign of the hole behind the tape.  I also think you could mask the area and build up a fairly thick coat of paint so that there would be a hard edge when the mask comes off.