Does Tamiya F-15E + F-15CJ = F-15D?

1to1scale

I’m hoping for some answers that I can’t figure out...I want to build an aggressor F-15D. I have both the Tamiya F-15E and the CJ kits, can I combine the nose and tails of the E with the body and landing gear of the CJ and make a D? It seems to me like it should work, but I’m not sure. 

I would appreciate any any opinions on this.

9614CE5C-6481-4F20-B557-60DB3AC64ABC.jpeg

Edited by 1to1scale

yes, but this way you will have a looted kit unless you want to do an F-15C Reykjavik (with CFTs) from the C kit.

you also can start from the single seater kit and get the F/G/J sprues from the E boxing (purchased separately).

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

can I combine the nose and tails of the E with the body and landing gear of the CJ and make a D?

Tamiya C/J/E landing gears are the same.

Edited by Luca

The F-15E has heavier main gear and bulged main doors. The D model does not, but whether the main door shapes are interchangeable would need to be tested.

I'd think, but am unsure exactly which, panel lines will differ also. But are likely much less noticeable.

Edited by Chek

1 hour ago, Chek said:

The F-15E has heavier main gear and bulged main doors. The D model does not, but whether the main door shapes are interchangeable would need to be tested.

I'd think, but am unsure exactly which, panel lines will differ also. But are likely much less noticeable.

I had thought so, I figured the Tamiya C had smaller mains, is this not the case? 

3 hours ago, Luca said:

yes, but this way you will have a looted kit unless you want to do an F-15C Reykjavik (with CFTs) from the C kit.

you also can start from the single seater kit and get the F/G/J sprues from the E boxing (purchased separately).

Tamiya C/J/E landing gears are the same.

It’s ok, I got the E kit partially started for $35 off eBay, it’s complete, but the fuselage had started to be brush painted, so this combo might  save me some sanding, and I could probably sell off the rest of the parts, or make a long range C in flight. Plus I am intrigued about building an Israeli D or a US Aggressor aircraft like the one above by two bobs. 

42 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I had thought so, I figured the Tamiya C had smaller mains, is this not the case? 

In reality, the E had wider main wheels/tires than the A-D models, but I believe that Tamiya didn't change the wheels in the kits.  They only changed the main gear doors.  But, you can get proper narrow wheels from the aftermarket.

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

Next question! Did anyone ever make Decals for a 1/32 D Aggressor? 

i think After Burner does on their 48th sheet 1/32

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/afterburner48081reviewrk_1.htm

also you may want to check TWO BOBS

also for JSDF

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/dxm91-3304.htm

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

looks like Reid Air makes a sheet for single seaters, but not the double. Two Bobs only has 1/48. 

As the graphics are sort of simple, I could probably print them on clear decal paper, its the Agressor Sqd shield that is an issue. I may have to get the 1/48 sheet and scale it up.