1/32 Bf 109G-6/AS conversion is almost there

Fencer-1

10 hours ago, Bill M. said:

I am very interested in the G-14/AS conversion. Since it is close as well, can we order and pay for it now? Thanks!

Bill M.

Dear Bill, you don't need to pay right now. I'll inform you first when the set available.

7 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

Now we just need someone to produce decals, or point out those which we may already have sitting in our collections which suit these airframes

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIMS3211

The overall black G-6/AS here. One more example of simple schemes for G-6/AS. All we need is "Udet" badge and custom black number.

AIMS3211_1.jpg?t=HMD48041.jpg?t=

Edited by Fencer-1

8 minutes ago, John1 said:

How can one be sure that Black 2 is a G-14/AS? I though these aircraft didn’t have the chin bulges, as that was the only difference between that version and the G-10?  

From previous experiences with Pastor John, I personally would put my faith in his Luftwaffe research. Id say hes one of the more knowledgeable people on the subject, and I've never heard anyone say his research was faulty prior. 

50 minutes ago, John1 said:

How can one be sure that Black 2 is a G-14/AS? I though these aircraft didn’t have the chin bulges, as that was the only difference between that version and the G-10?  

I always thought that the chin bulges were what distinguished a G-14/AS from a G-6/AS. But I am no expert on this. Maybe Fencer-1 or Pastor John can clarify the difference.

Bill M.

Actually, G-14/AS machines from production blocks 165000 and 785000 (Mtt Regensburg) and 462000 (Erla Leipzig) did have the chin bulges - simply a matter of standardizing on one lower cowling type for all 109 versions. In that case, it is usually possible to distinguish a G-14/AS from a G-10 by looking at the position of the oil filler point: the G-10 used a larger oil tank for its DB 605D engine, and the oil filler point is located higher than on earlier marks of the 109G using any of the DB 605A versions. However, this is not entirely full proof, as it has come to light that a small number of G-14/AS machines near the end of production apparently was also equipped with the larger oil tank that was normally reserved for the DB 605D-engined G-10 and K-4. On the right side, the port for the cold weather starting device was also located higher in the G-10, so this is another detail that helps telling G-14/AS and G-10 apart. Also, the cowlings used on G-10 aircraft produced by WNF/Diana, Erla and Mtt were all different - the difference between the WNF/Diana and Mtt cowlings is quite subtle, but the Erla cowl is very different: it is more streamlined and the lower cowl is widened, allowing the bulges to be deleted. When you see an aircraft with an Erla or WNF/Diana cowl, it's definitely a G-10, as these cowl types were not used on any G-14/AS aircraft. Of course, if the W.Nr of the aircraft is known, you can simply use that to look up which exact type it is, and who produced it.

Edited by pvanroy
Added sentence about W.Nr

16 hours ago, pvanroy said:

Actually, G-14/AS machines from production blocks 165000 and 785000 (Mtt Regensburg) and 462000 (Erla Leipzig) did have the chin bulges - simply a matter of standardizing on one lower cowling type for all 109 versions. In that case, it is usually possible to distinguish a G-14/AS from a G-10 by looking at the position of the oil filler point: the G-10 used a larger oil tank for its DB 605D engine, and the oil filler point is located higher than on earlier marks of the 109G using any of the DB 605A versions. However, this is not entirely full proof, as it has come to light that a small number of G-14/AS machines near the end of production apparently was also equipped with the larger oil tank that was normally reserved for the DB 605D-engined G-10 and K-4. On the right side, the port for the cold weather starting device was also located higher in the G-10, so this is another detail that helps telling G-14/AS and G-10 apart. Also, the cowlings used on G-10 aircraft produced by WNF/Diana, Erla and Mtt were all different - the difference between the WNF/Diana and Mtt cowlings is quite subtle, but the Erla cowl is very different: it is more streamlined and the lower cowl is widened, allowing the bulges to be deleted. When you see an aircraft with an Erla or WNF/Diana cowl, it's definitely a G-10, as these cowl types were not used on any G-14/AS aircraft. Of course, if the W.Nr of the aircraft is known, you can simply use that to look up which exact type it is, and who produced it.

Thanks for the enlightenment.  Never ceases to amaze me as to how complex the 109G lineage is.   So, are there any other -14/AS decals out there.   I'm not a big fan of the nightfighters, but so far, it looks like the only decal option is "Black 2"?