Jennings Heilig

Please spare a thought...

JH. Take care and remember the good times. Obviously you know the processes happening but as you say, it's different when it's your loved one laying there.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

I've been through the Hospice treatment when my sister passed, and every one of those people really do care; it's the toughest gig I think I've ever seen. They are really amazing people.

In my experience with a Hospice type situation, this is about as good of an outcome as you could want. Its great to hear everyone she wanted to see was there, and she was even able to tell stories. It's never a an easy thing letting go, but it sounds like she is comfortable and surrounded by those she cares about, so that is what  truly counts.

And by the way, a huge shout out to the great folks at Southwest Airlines in Phoenix.  My flight from Phoenix to Midway was broken down in Las Vegas, with no idea when or even if it was going to fly on Wednesday afternoon.  I wasn’t sure I was even going to make it in time, and I told the ticket agent my situation.  She massaged the system to shoe horn me onto the last seats on two connecting flights via Denver.  Even got a refund of the price difference - a whole dollar!  I love Southwest!

Edited by Jennings Heilig

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've been through the Hospice treatment when my sister passed, and every one of those people really do care; it's the toughest gig I think I've ever seen. They are really amazing people.

In my experience with a Hospice type situation, this is about as good of an outcome as you could want. Its great to hear everyone she wanted to see was there, and she was even able to tell stories. It's never a an easy thing letting go, but it sounds like she is comfortable and surrounded by those she cares about, so that is what  truly counts.

It takes a very, very special person to do hospice care.   These wonderful people allowed my mom to pass at home, in her bed, surrounded by family.  The other option would have been in a horrible nursing home, more than likely ignored or with someone who just (at best) had minimal interest in her well-being.   I honestly don't know how they do it but they truly are angels.  

3 hours ago, John1 said:

It takes a very, very special person to do hospice care.

I worked as a hospice nurse for about a year and a half.  It was the most amazing experience of my life.  I worked in the very rural community where I lived, so my patients were my neighbors for the most part.  I learned so much (especially about pain management) that has helped me in my subsequent career.  It was emotionally draining, as I tend to become very close with long term patients and their families.  I worked with nurses and other staff who had been doing that job for many years, and I don’t know how they did it.  

My mother helped found Wings of Hope Hospice here in Allegan County, Michigan.  If not for her and a couple of others, there might not even be hospice in this community.  

Jennings it sounds like your mom and her family are having the experience we all wish to have when we go. I'm glad they've done a great job with her comfort and she's been able to be surrounded by loved ones. I know you'll remember these last days with her always.

Thanks everybody.  People here keep looking to me and my experience for answers as to “when”, but of course nobody ever really knows. All you can do is look for the signs, but everyone’s death is a different experience.  I just pray that it’s sooner rather than later at this point. I’m so thankful that my sister and myself could get here from Arizona before she left us, and that she’s getting such great care at this hospital.  If she hangs on much longer, we’re hoping for the ability to transfer her to the hospice house that’s a little closer to home, but that’s all very up in the air right now.

Sending positive thoughts from the UP, mate. 

Sounds like your mum is in the best hands and environment possible. 

She sounds like a very special lady and I hope her remaining time is the best it can be.

All the best.

Denzil

My sincerest condolences and I hope your mother rests as easy as she can and when that time comes, she'll know the loving family is there by her side.  As that time draws near, even though she may seem unresponsive, she knows.  I'm sure you know all that already but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  I hope her life was a joyous experience for both her and her loved ones.  Although sad by all accounts, celebrate her life and cherish those memories like they were money...they can be fleeting.

As the J Geils Band song goes, the good times are forever....

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks guys.  She’s relatively stable at the moment, so we’re going to move her to a hospice house that’s a little closer to home.  Ironically, she was a moving force behind starting this hospice house over 30 years ago, and was one of its first volunteers.  She still talks about the friends she made in hospice, so life has a funny way of coming full circle.  Hoping the transport doesn’t do her in, but she’s an amazingly strong woman.  I’d never have bet she could have survived the sepsis last week, but here we are.