1/24 Hellcat (out o the box)

chrish

9 hours ago, chrish said:

I started this to take a break from the vacuform ATR kit, after a solid week of building (great enjoyment though) I have most of an engine glued together and painted and very slightly weathered. 

Rb8ckC6.jpg

EuigjD0.jpg

YBkPzuW.jpg

That looks good, but you painted somethings wrong. The two octagonal shaped parts on the left and right of the front gear case are the Bendix-Scintilla distributors, and should be painted the color of the front gear case Grumman gray. The part in the middle is the Bendix-Scintilla magneto, and it should be painted semi-gloss black. The smaller part in front of the magneto is the propeller governor and that is painted correctly semi-gloss black.

Ron G 

Thanks for the encouragement!

Greatly appreciated!!

The instruction sheet has a template for the spark plug leads showing what to use and what length to cut them at and where to install the leads. They recommend .032 solder for the leads but I found that to be waaay too thick. I used .010 solder to build the leads and even at that it's tough getting the exhaust headers into place.

RonG it's my model and I'll paint it any way I like;)

Thanks Matt

Yes all components were painted then assembled, still some touch up's required by brush after handling, just minor stuff.

The cylinder banks are Alclad stainless steel and magnesium with a dark wash to help bring up the wonderful casting on the cooling fins, the rest is Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo for the exhaust.