1/24 Hellcat (out o the box)

chrish

Back to work on the engine the last couple of days. Jumping around in the instructions almost shot me in the foot (again) I fitted the supercharger intake piping and manifolds then noticed I should have fitted the engine mounts, good thing the glue was still soft...maybe I should stop sniffing it?  If I'd  known how nice the engine was before assembly I'd have tried building a display method for it off the airframe. In any case here's a couple of pics of the engine progress to date.

Disclaimer; this is not an historically accurate model aircraft.

HnDekVZ.jpg

bt0aGtd.jpg

csKyf2T.jpg

4 hours ago, chrish said:

Back to work on the engine the last couple of days. Jumping around in the instructions almost shot me in the foot (again) I fitted the supercharger intake piping and manifolds then noticed I should have fitted the engine mounts, good thing the glue was still soft...maybe I should stop sniffing it?  If I'd  known how nice the engine was before assembly I'd have tried building a display method for it off the airframe. In any case here's a couple of pics of the engine progress to date.

Disclaimer; this is not an historically accurate model aircraft.

HnDekVZ.jpg

bt0aGtd.jpg

csKyf2T.jpg

Stunning!

15 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Great work Chris,  it’s really coming together.  I especially like the way you have done the exhausts can you let me know what’s you did?  Cheers. Matt

Thank you very much Matt, your cat is looking great too, great kit hey?

I used Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth and Tamiya XF-68 then weathered the pipes with Vallejo light and dark rust washes. 

Thanks for looking in guys! 

The fit of the parts is almost friction fit in many places. I'm hoping I can actually press fit the engine to the fuselage and remove it for display later.

Edited by chrish

Nice work Chris :)

The fit tolerance is zero isn’t it? Everywhere. I dry fitted the engine - it just popped into place, then I had a total struggle getting it off..  should be fine though with a light sand.

Guy

On 7/27/2019 at 11:48 PM, chrish said:

I take all the blame for this conflict, it was never meant to cause an issue such as it has. I did smart mouth Ron G when I could have left it alone or informed him I wasn’t going for anything historically accurate but more along the lines of just enjoying the build for what it was, a hobby, and a plastic model...A time filler between daily tasks and a chance to unwind at my bench. I have never built anything exactly historically accurate and (probably) never will. I build for enjoyment and for the fun of putting color to  the plastic. Many of my builds may look like an historically correct build but will never be, that’s not the reason I build model airplanes...Ron G could also have pointed out the intake manifold was in bare metal and should be green or, that I have used the wrong shade of green, which if I was building an accurate model of a hellcat would also be true. As these colours as well as the crankcase grey, the oil transfer tubes etc etc are all technically wrong to a historically correct Hellcat but again, I’m not going for accurate, I’m just building a model airplane and enjoying the build.

i regret not having the foresight to see that what I was doing and the pictures I was posting would cause so much friction.

a suggestion has been made that if I don’t want comments I should not post pictures, if this is sincerely the feeling  I should probably delete the pictures already posted and in future try to post only the images of  attempts at a historically accurate models.....uhm...I don’t build those.

Again, my sincere apologies for any conflict I’ve been responsible for

The engine looks great. Remember the days, when you wanted an 'accurate' radial you painted the crankcase gray, the cylinders black, and the heads silver, then dry  brushed the whole thing with silver to make it 'realistic'? Ah, the good old days.

Lee; true fact! I do kind of still build that way, hence all the drama here  hahaha.

Guy..... yup you're right there! I dry fitted the folded wings attachment points to the centre section and almost sh*t myself trying to get them disconnected again!

Gaz...Thanks!

A bit of home made masking going on today (after spending most of the day working on my car...my other hobby) I'm using scans of the decals cut out of paper to make masks from Badger Frisket film,  an interesting ordeal...It's tough stuff to place because it's as clear as tape, I've put bits of Tamiya tape on it to indicate the edges but it's still a bit of a job getting it in place. I've decided to only try to do the national markings with paint (cause they're so damned big) and decals for the rest, stenciling etc. 

8E5ppSH.jpg

RRvSWFQ.jpg

The Tamiya tape is in place only to form a datum line, copied from the datum line of rivets.

j0bN9ri.jpg