1/24 Hellcat (out o the box)

chrish

Thank you Brian

I had no trouble other than fitting the exhaust headers, my fault (as usual) I misunderstood the instructions and joined the paired headers then tried to weave them into the engine assembly between the cooling baffle and spark plug leads. It was almost impossible to do but when I separated the (still uncured glued up) headers they went in much easier. Then join the paired headers once attached to the cylinders, baby cloths-pins to hold them together while the glue cured. 

There are options to have the engine separate from the airframe and to motorize the assembly so I have to be careful building, as I tend to think I know what I'm doing, jump ahead of the instructions and end up with a bullet hole in a foot

44 minutes ago, chrish said:

Thanks Matt

Yes all components were painted then assembled, still some touch up's required by brush after handling, just minor stuff.

The cylinder banks are Alclad stainless steel and magnesium with a dark wash to help bring up the wonderful casting on the cooling fins, the rest is Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo for the exhaust. 

Thanks for the. info. What colour did you use for the ignition wire. I have been thinking about this detail on my build and the colour you have chosen looks really good to my eye and really adds lovely contrast and brings out that detail.

cheers

Matt

5 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Thanks for the. info. What colour did you use for the ignition wire. I have been thinking about this detail on my build and the colour you have chosen looks really good to my eye and really adds lovely contrast and brings out that detail.

cheers

Matt

Matt

The "wires" are Tamiya NATO brown XF-68

I think what the OP and Breaker meant is what may be "wrong" to you may be exactly what he intended to do since he may not build like you do, or for the same reasons. I think in general people know and expect others to express their opinions on something they post.

Everyone builds for different reasons, and having an opinion on someone's work is one thing, but "wrong" is a totally subjective word  in modeling since it may mean wildly different things to different people.

Sometimes, like myself, people dont have anyone in their life to share their work with, and forums and shows give them a chance to share their work and see others work without necessarily getting judged on it.

Putting your work out on a forum does invite peoples opinions and most of the time that's not an issue, but there is no rule anywhere that I know of that says just because you post your work on a forum, you automatically want criticism. Sometimes people just want to share their work without being judged. 

firstly thank you to the thread owner for sharing his work, but now I apologise for going off topic somewhat

the guy just said that some things were painted the wrong colour, and I assume knows what he's talking about

now maybe he could have 'padded his delivery' a little bit, but we're all grown ups here right?

we'd all rather know what colour stuff was, how big things were, what variant was what  - learning new stuff is half of what LSP is about in my view

if this is the attitude people are going to take when technical information is offered, LSP will lose even more members than it has already (I have numerous build threads bookmarked littered with contributions by 'Guest xyz' etc because they got fed up and left

again, apologies for going off topic but I think if things carry on in this direction LSP is going to turn into Barracuda's Facebook page, where you can only say "good job" and nothing else 

Mods - delete if you want

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

firstly thank you to the thread owner for sharing his work, but now I apologise for going off topic somewhat

the guy just said that some things were painted the wrong colour, and I assume knows what he's talking about

now maybe he could have 'padded his delivery' a little bit, but we're all grown ups here right?

we'd all rather know what colour stuff was, how big things were, what variant was what  - learning new stuff is half of what LSP is about in my view

if this is the attitude people are going to take when technical information is offered, LSP will lose even more members than it has already (I have numerous build threads bookmarked littered with contributions by 'Guest xyz' etc because they got fed up and left

again, apologies for going off topic but I think if things carry on in this direction LSP is going to turn into Barracuda's Facebook page, where you can only say "good job" and nothing else 

Mods - delete if you want

Thanks nmayhew 

All I was trying to do was point out he painted the engine incorrectly. I base this on the P&W R-2800 manual and any photo you can download off of the internet. He did a good job building it. But if he doesn't want to here that he made an error he shouldn't post his work. Believe me I made and probably still do make mistakes and I appreciate it when someone points it out, that way I can do a better job on the next one. This is how we all improve our skills as modelers. 

He can paint it pink with yellow polk a dots for all it matters, but it doesn't make it right. Your right about the bitterness here thats why I went to LSM, much more friendly there.

Ron G 

I take all the blame for this conflict, it was never meant to cause an issue such as it has. I did smart mouth Ron G when I could have left it alone or informed him I wasn’t going for anything historically accurate but more along the lines of just enjoying the build for what it was, a hobby, and a plastic model...A time filler between daily tasks and a chance to unwind at my bench. I have never built anything exactly historically accurate and (probably) never will. I build for enjoyment and for the fun of putting color to  the plastic. Many of my builds may look like an historically correct build but will never be, that’s not the reason I build model airplanes...Ron G could also have pointed out the intake manifold was in bare metal and should be green or, that I have used the wrong shade of green, which if I was building an accurate model of a hellcat would also be true. As these colours as well as the crankcase grey, the oil transfer tubes etc etc are all technically wrong to a historically correct Hellcat but again, I’m not going for accurate, I’m just building a model airplane and enjoying the build.

i regret not having the foresight to see that what I was doing and the pictures I was posting would cause so much friction.

a suggestion has been made that if I don’t want comments I should not post pictures, if this is sincerely the feeling  I should probably delete the pictures already posted and in future try to post only the images of  attempts at a historically accurate models.....uhm...I don’t build those.

Again, my sincere apologies for any conflict I’ve been responsible for

39 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

But if he doesn't want to here that he made an error he shouldn't post his work.

That's patent nonsense (assuming you meant "hear" and not "here"). While you have every right to alert Chris to his error, he also has every right to ignore your advice. And neither of you, as grown men, should feel the need to be offended by the other's comments. Both of you could have been more tactful, but that's water under the bridge now.

1 minute ago, chrish said:

a suggestion has been made that if I don’t want comments I should not post pictures, if this is sincerely the feeling  I should probably delete the pictures already posted and in future try to post only the images of  attempts at a historically accurate models.....uhm...I don’t build those.

You're quite welcome to keep posting your builds in any way you feel fit to execute them, Chris. I only ask that we all try to engage with each other in a friendly, respectful manner. Critiques should be politely offered, and politely acknowledged - whether accepted or not. And any subsequent exchanges should proceed in the same spirit. When this doesn't happen, that's when the fecal matter tends to hit the rotary cooling blades.

Kev

Impressive work, and it's an OOB build, that's the way I tend to build these days apart from details such as seat belts so mine will be build without much in the way of aftermarket as well. So I'll be following this one.

Cheers

Dennis