Droids, droids, droids !!

spacewolf

While those who follow my antics know I'm building an aeroplane... I fear I must digress.. the sci fi bug has bitten quite hard. In working with Jimi from JPG Productions I became aware of his 1/12 scale Droids and couldn't resist  :wub:  So money was sent off and in a couple of weeks these showed up...

GxeQoJU.jpg

8JePpEr.jpg

.... and I just couldn't stop myself from getting into them !! :frantic:... for this build I have a companion, CPF-0880... a hapless trooper tasked with  finding certain droids. Unfortunately his downloaded instructions were a bit garbled and due to a nasty hit to the helmet he took charging into a hostage situation on the Death Star he's a bit garbled too... 

vpH5fBF.jpg

So follow along if you wish on this out of this world adventure !! :mental:

Edited by spacewolf

The Mouse droid is just too cute.. we first see this timid droid getting roared at by Chewy on the Death star.  There are several variants and there are several groups on line dedicated to reproducing them in 1:1 scale !!

w8W4quc.jpg

The kit is quite simple..

udums6Z.jpg

Thats it... A bit of putty and sanding, a pair of cutters & some super glue.. you could build this in a few hours.

mfC7V0M.jpg

I sprayed on a coat of Model Master RLM 66 and used Tamyia semi gloss black on the side panels.

VdaQpu5.jpg

A coat of Future, some decals from the spares box and a semi gloss coat and it's done !!

FabbEQP.jpg

CFnImVY.jpg

lXTe0xq.jpg

It was a fun, fast build that looks great.. and fits with any of the Bandai 1/12 scale figures... But poor -0880 isn't quite sure if this is one of the droids he's supposed to be looking for....

vosn668.jpg

More droids soon..... :evil_laugh:

On 7/24/2019 at 6:38 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Nice Vaughn! I picked up his 12th scale ProBot + lighting kit.

I can still only think of Joe from Family Guy as the ProBot in one of their Starwars spoofs

:lol:

They did some amazingly good stuff with their Star Wars spoofs !

Moving on to the GONK droid... a cunky little fellow we first see in the sand crawler..

Iwzviq3.jpg

The full sized prop..

GBkpkKM.jpg

Of course most of us had the action figure..

G8GkgSx.jpg

And he's in most of the movies.. here in Rogue 1...

DiXeM2T.jpg

After a bit of filling and sanding the first thing was to set it up for lights.... The panel on the front end is quite nice and begs to be lit.

nviC9zy.jpg

First thing was to drill holes and fill them with stretched sprue that extends a bit into the body...

yIRATjO.jpg

Testing against my light it looks good..

D8X20rW.jpg

My reasoning for doing the lighting this way is a beef I have with most lighted starships.. the lights are wayyyyy too bright. I'm building a light box rather than putting LED"s in each hole.. cheaper, easier, effective and the lights look real... at least to me.

A box was cobbled together..

jXYEb0L.jpg

Tea lights were gotten from a thrift store.. the 'flickering' LED cut off and a white one soldered in place.

5j2Yd5t.jpg

A disc was cut to size and then fitted to the wires to help stop light bleed...

K4Usr2g.jpg

Magnets were added to hold the top on.... I wanted easy access to replace batteries and have access to the switch..

G7tuaUa.jpg

The box was glued in and a bit of scrap tube added for the light housing... ridges were cut from scrap sheet to hold the battery holder/ switch and the switch housing was trimmed to fit..

g3ZNvWO.jpg

the LED is just press fitted.. the whole lighting unit is removable.

8nGxqwx.jpg

And... we have lights !! Tamyia clear did the trick quite nicely.

MAZwMWp.jpg

A bit of filling pin holes and low spots, tweeking the fit and good 'ol GONK is ready for paint !

h9GAbrb.jpg

Like the Mouse, Model Master RLM 66 acrylic, staining and washing with Tamyia semi gloss black, details picked out with Testors gold & Chrome silver enamels... decals from the spares box...

veCDg5w.jpg

v3UHeHp.jpg

WRyB20M.jpg

ZHwULzb.jpg

The lights came out just the way I wanted them...

chodFq2.jpg

I used a flat finish for it and the difference between it and the mouse in it's semi gloss is subtle but noticeable... As they are in Imperial service I wanted them a bit worn but not battered.

uDnIZQO.jpg

Poor -0880 is still wandering around checking every droid he comes across...

SxMvNid.jpg

Digging into the Probe Droid right shortly !!  :fight:.... Stay tuned !!