Build Thread Piracy... Hate it!!

Gazzas

feedback and learning are for me the main reasons i post on the forums . why post online if its just for me ?

TBH i encourage those attitudes. 

if i show an RFI and you have a technique and correction i welcome it , so i can be better in the future , or even modify it with its simple .

and if its a WIP it the same . plus it helps me have a better result or speak about a subject that i enjoy .

a picture of a kit with trench sized joints , scratches and generally not a great build is not what i look for unless it is the correct scheme etc.

that's also why i love browsing WIP and RFI to find what i like or thing i want to do . 

Edited by kikka
corrections

I think occasionally people mistake someone putting up a WIP or RFI as immediate consent to critique.  I don't believe that is the case, and those putting up a build thread or RFI post don't necessarily expect or want criticism, constructive or not.   I think generally people do not mind constructive criticisms, but overall, as a general rule of thumb I don't automatically assume the person posting their work wants it critiqued unless they state so up front.

Some folks like to build how they build, and don't like others telling them they've done something "wrong". Sometimes they just like to have their work seen, good or bad and aren't really expecting or welcoming someone correcting or critiquing their work, so if they don't say so up front, and I don't have anything good to say, I just usually refrain from saying anything. 

If you don’t want criticism / critique / suggestions, why would anyone want to post their work?   After the first few “likes” or “Looks  great!” what’s the point? Just an ego fluff?   

I welcome the above.  I’m not a terribly skilled modeler and any suggestions or gripes are welcome.  Even if it’s after the fact and can’t be fixed.   If someone crosses my threshold and becomes a nuisance, I’m a big boy and can deal with it.  I went through infantry school and was shredded on a daily basis by masters of the art. I got through that, I’m certainly not going to lose a minute’s sleep if someone excessively slags my plastic model  airplane.  

Where is it written in any rule book that says you have to accept accept criticism just because you share your work?

Where is it written that if you post your work, you can only do so because you want your work critsized or critiqued?

Lots of folks including myself dont have anyone in our 1:1 lives that care about models in the least. I use shows and model forums as a way to share my work with others who may appreciate it, and to look at others work, not to get acalades, atta-boys or to have someone tell me how off my model is or what I did wrong after the fact. That comes off as a super "Richard" move in my book.

Having an opinion on someone elses work is one thing, I think most folks who share  their work in a WIP or RFI expect people to have opinions on it, but telling them they did something "wrong" or pointing out all sorts of faults when there isnt a thing they can do about it is a whole other thing, and so is critiquing someone's work who hasn't asked for it.

I've seen it a few times lately and it's pretty off base IMHO, as "wrong" is as about as arbitrary as it comes in our hobby since every individual builds differently and for different purposes.

Being tough and able to take criticism has nothing to do with it, as lots of modelers dont have high confidence in there ability and one guy telling  them how much they did "wrong" may be the difference between them continuing to build or not, weather that criticism is meant constructively or not, it may not alway be taken that way.....you just cant be sure.

It's more about at least being respectful enough of someone elses work to acknowledge they may not think like you and deliver criticism if asked for. Its obviously not a hard standing rule, but a good rule of thumb to observe.

1 hour ago, John1 said:

If you don’t want criticism / critique / suggestions, why would anyone want to post their work?

Because some people just want to share their endeavours (and their hobby) with like-minded people, without having to be judged or criticised for it.

Kev

7 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Because some people just want to share their endeavours (and their hobby) with like-minded people, without having to be judged or criticised for it.

Kev

So create a judgment-free forum.  Only positive, uplifting comments allowed.      Nothing posted to harsh the OP’s mellow.  ARC has something like that.   

Edited by John1