Build Thread Piracy... Hate it!!

Gazzas

I really enjoy build threads, and RFI threads.  Here, on Facebook, and other places I frequent.  But there is one behavior that just irritates the crap outta me.  Some guy has gone to all of the trouble to give us reading material, tips, eye-candy, inspiration, and whatnot, and here comes somebody who just has to post pictures of his own plane in the original poster's thread.

Why?  I know that quite often it is to give the original poster a tip.  I'm certain the original poster is capable of clicking on a link, if he is capable of making a build thread at all.

To make it even worse is when other posters start oohing and ahhing (with replies) over the thread pirate's (admittedly nice looking) work extending the thread and making the original poster waste his time looking at replies which aren't for him.

Make your own build thread!  Use a link or ask permission to post photos of your work in somebody else's thread.  It's common courtesy.

Here ends my rant.

Gaz

Unless there is something asked by the OP, I try not to post pics of any of my stuff in anyone's thread. I too think its poor form, but it does happen. I usually try to contain any pics to close in shots if the OP asks about something specific. Otherwise, just enjoy the thread.

A generous interpretation of an isolated instance would be that the thread hijacker is simply trying to be 'collegiate' on a shared topic. If it carries on though, at some point it obviously becomes tactless and fairly inconsiderate.

Hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

Matty

9 hours ago, Mark_C said:

"Why?  I know that quite often it is to give the original poster a tip. "

I'm pretty sure that's a good idea, and if I were to start a build thread, I'd sure appreciate getting a pointer or two, especially if it helps me improve the build or avoid a problem.

Yep, I don't have any problem with that at all, assuming there is a reason for posting the photos in the first place.

If someone just uses the OP as an opportunity to post tons of their own photos, with no real connection to the OP thread, well that's maybe a different story.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Doesn't bother me on my own threads, but I have been guilty of this. :(

Ryan

Yep,  +1. I dont have a problem with this happening on my own threads but if I think it is helpful occasionally I will post the odd pic of my own work to help out someone who has run in to issues on a build that I have also experienced, as they say a picture can say so much more than words.

Regards. Andy

38 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

All true, but I generally look at it as kind of a "Richard" move. 

To me, it just seems like a cry for attention when someone else is attempting to display their work; or kind of a "one-upsman" type of move.

I agree. Sometimes it does seem as if it's a "Hey, look at my stuff" sort of ploy, but at other times it's just done to illustrate a point, which is pretty harmless, as I see it.

7 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Yep,  +1. I dont have a problem with this happening on my own threads but if I think it is helpful occasionally I will post the odd pic of my own work to help out someone who has run in to issues on a build that I have also experienced, as they say a picture can say so much more than words.

Regards. Andy

What Andy said, a good picture in the right context can be so helpful. Andy was the trailblazer on the AIMS Bf110G4 conversion and yes, I did refer to his WiP but equally a picture placed in my WiP over a specific point saved me having to look through many many pages of his. Agreed 100% though Gaz that if a “pirate” picture provokes too much discussion which detracts from the OP’s thread it is annoying. 

I have experienced another kind of "intrusion" which is really annoying.

Someone who comments on a part of your build AFTER you have done something and cannot possibly change it.

They know it so it is purely and simply one-upmanship.

On the first instance it's a polite "thanks but a bit late to change things" but after two or three more times eventually you can lose your patience and politely tell them to go forth and multiply.

The good peeps will chime in beforehand with a warning about possibly issues and those are gratefully recieved which is the way it should be.

Another really annoying intrusion is when one of the "kit haters" comes along to tell you what a crap kit it is to start with.

It's a pathetic attempt to try and make them look superior and take the shine off your build. 

That has no place in a build thread.

firstly I  think this is a massive storm in a tea cup

most of it is just common sense and common courtesy, but to have an inquisition about it is all sounding very snowflakey

as to pointing things out after the event, well it's not always possible to anticipate every move a modeller may make in a build; so many goofs will by definition only be obvious once the glue has set and the paint has dried

personally, I'd rather know

otherwise I might as well build 1/48 or 1/72

26 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

as to pointing things out after the event, well it's not always possible to anticipate every move a modeller may make in a build; so many goofs will by definition only be obvious once the glue has set and the paint has dried

personally, I'd rather know

otherwise I might as well build 1/48 or 1/72

I think labelling things as "snowflake" is going a bit far Nick.

If people have things that are bothering them on here then they should be able to discuss them without any labels.

As regards things being pointed out after the event, in my case it wasn't a goof on my part.

Despite a huge amount of research on a rare version of an aircraft I had some eejit repeatedly jumping on my build saying it was wrong and always after I had posted updates.

That is annoying.

Edited by PhilB