Markjames1968

Tamiya p38 ... in 1;48

Posted (edited)

I'm getting my credit card all buffed up and ready for this one. With any luck a big scale will come later but I'm OK with this one for sure. Funny thing is I just bought a P-38 Walk around book today.

Edited by AlbertD

2 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

I'm getting my credit card all buffed up and ready for this one. With any luck a big scale will come later but I'm OK with this one for sure.

Me too, me first. :)

1 hour ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Not many at all.

Except for the Red Bull racing machine, the rest seem to be OD and whatever the hell was on the bottom.

10 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I'm not seeing any pics of F's and G's in NMF...

The J supplanted the G on the assembly line in 1943, long before NMF was standard.  A large number of Js were factory finished in OD/NG, so any earlier version you see in NMF was stripped after it was in service.  By the time NMF became the standard, the F/G were out of frontline service as fighters.

Posted (edited)

I ran a search on ebay and on spruebrothers, there are not a lot of decal options on the market for F and G Lightning’s at the moment.  I think Eduard did some really interesting markings some years ago for their limited edition kits that had Academy or Hasegawa plastic in the box but I don’t see much as far as available sheets so it looks like there is room for some decal makers to jump in with some new interesting stuff.  

It looks to me also like Tamiya has found a solution to my personal bugaboo, side opening canopies.  I personally don’t like them when it comes to scale models, here though they have made two moldings, one closed, and one open.  So that looks like I can display open or closed canopy.  That is a feature I really like in a model.

Edited by cbk57

Very cool. Looks like a tremendous kit.    The next thing I would say has been said a lot.............just wrong scale of course.   

Good to see this one out finally. I'll take few of these- even though it is braille scale :lol:.

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Except for the Red Bull racing machine, the rest seem to be OD and whatever the hell was on the bottom.

The Red Bull Racing P-38 is actually an L model with early engine cowling she has a sister that's all gloss black that's in a museum in Santa Teresa New Mexico and that one is lefties plane. Who was one of the P-38 test pilots