Tamiya p38 ... in 1;48

On 7/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, cbk57 said:

I am fundamentally happy with this release, I have wanted to build a p-38 for a long time and not got around to it.  Thought fairly hard about a couple of the Eduard releases where they added extra resin bits and some interesting markings.  Almost bought one on more than one occasion but always had some reason not to.  Would I prefer a 1/32 like most of you yes, however, I am sure this will have amazing detail and being a twin engine in 1/48 the physical size of the complete model will be reasonable.  I do feel that models can get too big in 1/32.  However, I just purchased a Tamiya Mosquito as I found one that offered a package deal at a good price.  

Some models can definitely be too big in 1/32; they can also be not that impressive, like a Bf-109, which still seems small-ish in 1/32.

Then again, some 1/48 aircraft seem way too small, but others are not small at all.

It all depends on subject matter.  

I have a 1/48 Tamiya Zero depicted in flight on a vertical support of square aluminum sitting on my modeling desk which I glance at all the time; it strikes me as not too big, not too small.

I think a 1/48 P-38 would make a nice sized object.

8 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I think a 1/48 P-38 would make a nice sized object.

I'm just about to do a 1/48 Academy P-38 Group Build (on another forum. sorry guys) and having taken it out of the box i can honestly say it's just a nice size to display. But there again it's not a subject matter i am particularly interested in if i'm honest. I'm doing it mostly to have a crack at the NMF paintwork because i've not really done one before.

But i can see why a 1/32 Tamiya kit would make others drool. It is an iconic aircraft and i feel it would sell a bucket load if ever produced

I ran a search on ebay and on spruebrothers, there are not a lot of decal options on the market for F and G Lightning’s at the moment.  I think Eduard did some really interesting markings some years ago for their limited edition kits that had Academy or Hasegawa plastic in the box but I don’t see much as far as available sheets so it looks like there is room for some decal makers to jump in with some new interesting stuff.  

It looks to me also like Tamiya has found a solution to my personal bugaboo, side opening canopies.  I personally don’t like them when it comes to scale models, here though they have made two moldings, one closed, and one open.  So that looks like I can display open or closed canopy.  That is a feature I really like in a model.

Edited by cbk57