Tamiya p38 ... in 1;48

...will not be in manscale, sadly. I'm still gonna buy it, though!

https://www.tamiya.com/english/info/aircraft_preview/index.htm

Who knows, maybe there's still hope for the ultimate P-47 in 1/32??

PS - not sure if this topic belongs in this forum, seeing as it's a 1/48 kit, mods please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Good news indeed, just wish it was large scale. 

11 minutes ago, TAG said:

Who knows, maybe there's still hope for the ultimate P-47 in 1/32??

I really hope! 

11 minutes ago, TAG said:

PS - not sure if this topic belongs in this forum, seeing as it's a 1/48 kit, mods please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Ive just taken the liberty of moving this to general discussion where it more appropriately belongs.   Thanks for the heads up

I am fundamentally happy with this release, I have wanted to build a p-38 for a long time and not got around to it.  Thought fairly hard about a couple of the Eduard releases where they added extra resin bits and some interesting markings.  Almost bought one on more than one occasion but always had some reason not to.  Would I prefer a 1/32 like most of you yes, however, I am sure this will have amazing detail and being a twin engine in 1/48 the physical size of the complete model will be reasonable.  I do feel that models can get too big in 1/32.  However, I just purchased a Tamiya Mosquito as I found one that offered a package deal at a good price.  

I have an Eduard release of the Academy kit in this scale, which has a lot of extra improvement parts.

It's in the stash waiting for its turn on the bench...but there is always room for a Tamiya rendition that may certainly build up nicer and easier!

I am sure it will be nice. Sure brings back memories though years ago when I was into 1/48 WW2 subjects and I purchased the brand spankin new 1/48 Hasegawa P-38 and thinking wow that was a hell of a nice kit and how anyone could do better. Of course if I recall it wasn't maybe the easiest thing to build but the P-38 design itself makes for a more complicated kit assembly. No doubt Tamiya will somehow make it easy.

Of course here is my cry about why couldnt they have done it in 1/32... whaaaah! :(

The main point I was making is that generally, twin boom aircraft models are a bit more troublesome to align than others. Alignment of the G6’s LG was solved by clever engineering.  If they can manage the same fault free alignment with the P-38’s twin booms, it will be fantastic.

Gaz

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm not sure how Tamiya is accomplishing that, but the Il-2 (which actually dates from 2012) seems to have set the new current standard for them.  The fit of the parts is so utterly precise you actually can't even see the joint line when you put two parts together.  It's absolutely jaw-dropping.  As I said in my Il-2 post, if something doesn't fit, that means you didn't do it right.  If Tamiya says it fits, then it fits!

I'm doing the new-tool 1:48 Spitfire Mk I atm, and I absolutely agree on the fit - the upper wing-fuselage joint, which is the true test of the fit on any Spitfire kit, is absolutely perfect.

They really need to scale this one up as well.