Silhouette - impressions & settings

themongoose

Best modeling tool I've ever bought. This is so easy to use. A few you-tube videos and I was ready to print. It's totally changing my ability to airbrush beautiful looking graphics. Tonight I needed a 2nd set of stars and scallops for the tail of my F-16. 5 minutes later I had a print out!

Stars-S.jpg

Almost anything I can scan I can print. I'm using the Kabuki mask from Maketar Paint Masks. I couldn't find settings for it (although I did record the oramask 810 settings others have posted) so I thought I would post them in case someone else wants to try kabuki. These result in just an impression of the cut in the backing:

Silhouette Cameo 3

Cut = 1

Speed = 4

Force = 4

Passes = 1

Also quite a few people said they had trouble getting the material off the self adhesive mat. I had that problem as well, causing the kabuki to curl badly. What I did to resolve the problem:

Leave the film on the mat.

Place the blue non-stick cover sheet over the top of the mask/mat.

Turn the mat upside down.

Slowly pull the mat off the film, using your other hand to hold the film and cover sheet flat on the desk. Works well and no problems with curling now. No need to de-tac it.

IMG_2038-S.jpg

Would love to hear any other tips you guys have for the Cameo :ninja:

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

is this what Jennings is having a world of trouble with?

I believe so yes. The interface can be problematic. I think however the individual user who uses it for smaller single jobs might have better luck. So far, that is the only types of jobs Ive done and have not had an issue. However, I have also not attempted to do what Jennings is doing, and I dont think the Silhouette cutters are generally made for higher volume and more complex cutting processes like Jennings is doing either, so I can see how it may have just become impossible. 

I dont have the Cameo, but the Portrait. Its smaller and generally works for my purposes. I like the rice paper masks, but I found they are not as flexible as the vinyl Oramask 810, and are not nearly as re-usable, as once you pick them up/off the model, not unlike Tamiya tape, they looks a lot of their sticking power.

Each to their own there, as the Ormask has the huge drawback of the pre-tensioned  rolls, and the problem of heat,time shrinkage, but this can be compensated for by cutting the masks out as close to the time of using them as possible.

The other thing I love about using the vinyl product like Oramask is that you dont have to use that PITA backing sheet. The Oramssk can be fed directly into the machine and cut right away without messing with the backing sheet. 

I have also found a new found respect and use for the manipulation of "points" in the Silhouette software. These can be deleted, added, curved, connected, dis-connected and cleaned up as needed to make the Silhouette cut much cleaner and sharper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone already used such Silhouette machines to cut in very thin plastic sheet?

I'm looking for ages after a seemingly discontinued 1/35 photoetched u-boot type VIIC deck set and am finally considering re-creating it myself from plans. However, cutting some hundreds of symetrical slots manually in a thin plastic sheet would be a nightmare! Accordingly, I'm wondering if that approach could not be THE solution. I could even laminate two or three cut sheets to get something thicker.

I'm not willing to do the full deck as  it would be close to 6 feet! (who said large scale bombers are difficult to store?)). I would like to recreate a 2 feet section with the Accurate Armour 88mm gun and the Scale 75 tower protruding through the ocean surface.

Thanks

T.

I tried it without much success in the past.  I was trying to cut out Albatross D.V/Va bulkheads, multiple thin bulkheads (Evergreen .05 or .1) that I was going to laminate to simulate the plywood of the actual bulkheads.  It never cut all the way through, and when I increased the cutting depth & force, it seemed the blade would catch during the job and the cutting head would just start moving in erratic motions.  At the time, I ran out of thin Evergreen, and I have not experimented any more since getting some more sheet styrene.

Bill

On 8/1/2019 at 5:44 PM, thierry laurent said:

Has anyone already used such Silhouette machines to cut in very thin plastic sheet?

I'm looking for ages after a seemingly discontinued 1/35 photoetched u-boot type VIIC deck set and am finally considering re-creating it myself from plans. However, cutting some hundreds of symetrical slots manually in a thin plastic sheet would be a nightmare! Accordingly, I'm wondering if that approach could not be THE solution. I could even laminate two or three cut sheets to get something thicker.

I'm not willing to do the full deck as  it would be close to 6 feet! (who said large scale bombers are difficult to store?)). I would like to recreate a 2 feet section with the Accurate Armour 88mm gun and the Scale 75 tower protruding through the ocean surface.

Thanks

T.

They make entire models out of paper.  Have you considered using something other than plastic sheets?

On 8/1/2019 at 2:44 AM, thierry laurent said:

Thanks

T.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

On 8/1/2019 at 2:44 AM, thierry laurent said:

Thanks

T.

I ended up getting a Curio, which is almost similar, but it has the ability to cut plastic sheet, supposedly up to .030. I have not hooked it up and tried yet, but in about a month I should have some time to play with it, my ultimate goal is to print a 1/33 paper model scaled up to 1/32 and cut out in styrene.