STRIKE TEST EA-6B 1/48 OOB headed for the display case at work

Collin

3 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

Looks great, Collin!

Did you dip the canopies in Future or something like that?  They seem super shiny and clean

I was curious about the bronzish looking tint on them too 

There are a few things I messed up.  One being the canopy eyebrow section I missed.  The other is I forgot to color in the AOA lights on the nose gear door.  

This kit fought me so much I have no desire to go back and correct (maybe I will get some mojo and correct the lights).  

Question asked about the tinting...that's a conversation I really should have with another beer in hand.  Looking over photos and having flown next to these aircraft in the fleet....the canopies aren't yellow and the gold tint really only comes out in very specific light conditions.  Normally it's a dull bronzey-dark(er) tint compared to the clear foward canopy (we had someting similar tint wise on the S-3).  I spent about two weeks trying every type of Future bath with food coloring or other tinted paints and it just plain sucked.  I couldn't get a smooth and clear (yet tinted) finish.  The tinting color in whatever fliuid I had either was inconsistent or highligted particles in the mix.  I was using pure Future, in a uber clean environment, and it took about 50 tries before I was somewhat happy with the results (what you see here)...which is basically a touch of Tamiya Smoke in Future dipped over and over.  Very frustrating experience.  

Cheers

Collin

Dude, I feel your pain with the canopies...that’s what stalled my 1/24th bird. No easy solution. But that being said, you nailed it. It might not have the changing hues of the 1:1 bird, but they changed constantly and look the part in the pic. Can’t wait for my next trip to PAX so I can see it in person!

Peter