F8F-1B possible from Trumpeter F8F-2?

Anders_Isaksson

As I believe the basic plastic is the same, can a -1B be made from the -2?

Just curious, as I understand that only the armament differed between the two versions. So a set of aftermarket items for the -1B specific cannon barrels might do the trick?

Thanks for any input! :)

Tail is taller on the -2 - and changes to engine cowl - but don't have details to hand.

Not sure if the cowl changed on the various Trumpeter releases - if I get a chance I'll dig out of the loft.

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Tail is taller on the -2 - and changes to engine cowl - but don't have details to hand.

Not sure if the cowl changed on the various Trumpeter releases - if I get a chance I'll dig out of the loft.

Iain

Ah, I see.

The taller fin alone of the -2 makes me drop this idea. Better to just get the proper -1B.

Thanks for the info! :)

I think the fin height is an easy fix Anders - if you can wait until the weekend I can dig my -1 and -2 kits out and check the differences in the mouldings, if that's any help?

Iain

39 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

I think the fin height is an easy fix Anders - if you can wait until the weekend I can dig my -1 and -2 kits out and check the differences in the mouldings, if that's any help?

Iain

Yes Iain, I can indeed wait until the weekend. Many thanks for taking the time! :bow:

I will await your info on the different boxings.

Thanks again!

Just found an additional snippet of info as it seems the -2 featured an oil cooler door on the lower cowling.

177240-11475-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/obscureco-aircraft-obs48002-grumman-bearcat-f8f-2--177240

But perhaps Trumpeter never bothered to modify their -2 to include the door?

Otherwise I assume it might be easy to backdate the cowl by deleting the door. ^_^

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Hi Anders - boxes found!  :)

OK - in front of me the F8F-1 and F8F-2 kits - and, as you know, the F8F-2 includes the cannon and wing panels with bulges that are identical to the cannon sprue in the -1B kit (have checked) - so part way to a cannon armed F8F-1B.

I'll post some photos later, but kit differences are:

• Fuselage mouldings - fin and rudder broader chord and taller on the F8F-2 - but I reckon very easily changed back to smaller fin and rudder with a few cuts and shaping
  • Cowling - main cowl identical - different lower panels to allow for oil cooler outlet - again - easy change IMHO
  • Exhaust pipes - different sprues - but I reckon a few tweaks and you're there
  • Fuselage inserts behind cowl - F8F-2 kit has vents moulded in (sprue L - parts L2 and L3) - reckon these could be easily filled and area made flush
  • Sliding part of canopy - these are different - rear section in F8F-2 has an additional frame - may be usable on an F8F-1B - will check - but easily removed/polished out IMHO

That's basically what I've spotted comparing the -1 and -2 - will check later about the 1B and post with photos - but I reckon it's a fairly straightforward conversion - I may do that myself, as there aren't a lot of schemes for the -2!

This review shows the parts in the -1B kit.

Hope that helps - will call back later with a further update.

Iain

Iain, many thanks for taking the time and trouble! :)

The conversion back to the -1B indeed looks doable, think I will go ahead and give it a go.

As you say, the -2 canopy may well be usable (as is) on the -1B, will have to check my references.

I will await any further post but thanks again, Iain! :)

Hi Anders,

I'm afraid I've run out of time to photograph the specific parts/differences today - but will try to sort in the next few days!

Sorry!

Iain

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, that's the -2 part , not correct for the -1  :unsure:

Hmm, after posting yesterday I spotted a French -1B and it seemed to have the -2 canopy.

Perhaps it was a retrofit? i will have to look around some more...

Edit: Found this photo that I borrowed from https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com.

f8f2.jpg

Edited by Anders_Isaksson