Dragon / CE 109D ... nearing the finish line ...

MikeMaben

• 1 month later...

Hey Wolf , perfection not my thing , I'm happy to just get a decent shelf sitter (12 to 15 incher).

Everything on the side of this thing references off of the cross. It always lines up with a panel

line (vertically) then the height so with a 2 digit ID number, which has to be the same height

as the cross, I had a limited space. Long story short, things just didn't line up right. It's just one

of those things I know will bug me unless I fix it.  But it's all fun ... right ?  :clap2:

Edited by MikeMaben

Looking great, Mike!

I feel your pain on the crosses. On the 190A-6 I just finished, it wasn't until I unmasked the underwing and fuselage crosses that I realized they are not the same size and I had swapped them! I had to strip them and start all over.:doh:

Keep up the great work!

John

Just deposited a bunch of "likes" to you account...I lost the thread a while back, great to see it back up and progress being made. 

Admire the calm way you deal with little "challenges" along the way...calm at least in your posts :)

She is looking so great and the unique scheme really stands out. What great work!

Hoping your eye improves...I just had more laser "spot-welding" to tack my retina wall back down again. Something to do with age she said...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

That's a big step to take Mike to correct those side markings, I can see why you did it and how you probably couldn't live with it though!  Thanks also for tip about warm water etc for applying masks, not heard that one before but definitely worth and experiment!  Onwards and upwards.....:clap2:

20 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks also for tip about warm water etc for applying masks, not heard that one before but definitely worth and experiment! 

Don't forget the soap. I'm still messin' with the process so now I'm putting a squirt of dishsoap

in a flat cap of distilled water, drag the mask thru that and wipe it on a piece of glass to remove

the excess (you only need a light film) then slide it on. I only move it around with my fingers if

possible or a toothpick sharpened to a chisel at the ends, especially on clear parts as not to scratch

the surface.

Actually it's more onwards and sideways.  ;)

Thanks for lookin' in men.

• MikeMaben changed the title to Dragon / CE 109D .. One ... More ... Time ...

So I tried lining the side markings up in Illustrator (easy with guides) and applying them as a unit

with transfer tape. Everything I tried was too sticky and wouldn't let go of the 810 no matter what.

I finally got fed up with the mess and decided to go with an old method I tried with the Mustang.

I painted some clear decal sheet with white first then a section in red and another in black.

Then cut those out on the Cameo. Muuuch easier (for me) although the black cross is made up

of 6 decals each , it came out pretty clean.  So first had to do the strip again <_< , then remask and

repaint.

UfZQCry.jpg

kAdqlkU.jpg

Decals went on OK , no film/silvering anywhere this way  :thumbsup:

lwKHOGK.jpg

bfcVe8s.jpg

So I'm happy now and can get on with the finish  :speak_cool:

Thanks for tuning in sports fans !