Dragon / CE 109D ... nearing the finish line ...

MikeMaben

So just to be clear, you are peeling the Oracal masks off of the backing sheet and then dipping them in warm soapy water?  And they still stick to the model adequately?  I’m curious about this - never would have thought to try that...

On 2/2/2021 at 1:37 AM, Derek B said:

Looking really sharp Mike, well done (good tips as well). 

Nice to hear that you had your sight problem sorted as well :thumbsup:

Derek

Thanks Derek, being able to see straight is definitely a good thing ;)

On 2/2/2021 at 4:21 PM, fastterry said:

Have you never seen The Secret Life of Walter Mitty?

TRF

Several times, wunna my favorite oldies. It took me a minute to figure it out

but I get it now.   Pocketa  Pocketa :P

On 2/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, Alex said:

So just to be clear, you are peeling the Oracal masks off of the backing sheet and then dipping them in warm soapy water?  And they still stick to the model adequately?  I’m curious about this - never would have thought to try that...

Hey Alex, yeah that's the sequence . I run hot tap water into a cup and squeeze in a good squirt of dishsoap (Dawn in my case).

The heat softens the film a little and the soap makes it slippery. Sometimes it takes lots of soapy water depending on the surface

paint, gloss or matte . The adhesive on the Oramask doesn't go away, it just slides better. Once I get it exactly where I want it , I press

gently on the areal where the films adhesive is to lock it down. Then I roll a Qtip at the edges of the paint area to squeegy out any water.

Using MRP paints, I've dripped water on the freshly painted surface and it doesn't mess it up a bit, not being water soluble. I thot maybe

the dried soapy water on the surface might cause adhesion problems but it doesn't. I did try to remove the adhesive from the Oracal

with alcohol and it did work but was a messy PIA.  If you have trouble positioning Oramask, it's worth experimenting.  I worked for me  :thumbsup:

Edited by MikeMaben

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Thanks Derek, being able to see straight is definitely a good thing ;)

Several times, wunna my favorite oldies. It took me a minute to figure it out

but I get it now.   Pocketa  Pocketa :P

Hey Alex, yeah that's the sequence . I run hot tap water into a cup and squeeze in a good squirt of dishsoap (Dawn in my case).

The heat softens the film a little and the soap makes it slippery. Sometimes it takes lots of soapy water depending on the surface

paint, gloss or matte . The adhesive on the Oracal doesn't go away, it just slides better. Once I get it exactly where I want it , I press

gently on the areal where the films adhesive is to lock it down. Then I roll a Qtip at the edges of the paint area to squeegy out any water.

Using MRP paints, I've dripped water on the freshly painted surface and it doesn't mess it up a bit, not being water soluble. I thot maybe

the dried soapy water on the surface might cause adhesion problems but it doesn't. I did try to remove the adhesive from the Oracal

with alcohol and it did work but was a messy PIA.  If you have trouble positioning Oracal, it's worth experimenting.  I worked for me  :thumbsup:

Excellent.  I will need to give that a shot.  It is definitely a challenge to position them *exactly right* before touching the adhesive to the surface...

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Say hey Willie Mays, that looks terrif!   The red and green contrast really make a nice combo.

Thanks Brian , the colors are a little different in real life,

hope to have better pix at the finish line.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, Troy Molitor said:

I recall the B&D approach to the P-51D "Jersey Jerk" and thought, Wow, how cool is that?   That is an ingenious problem solving effort!  I love this tip Mike. Thats for sharing.  

Glad you got a kick out of it Troy , however , me and 'ingenious' don't really don't go together well.

It just popped into my head one day.  :blink: