Dragon / CE 109D ... nearing the finish line ...

MikeMaben

Mike, 

First it great to hear that your eye got better. I also had blood in one eye a few years ago due to high BP. That has been corrected and it never happened again. Very impressed with your build. I have a question regarding 109’s. What is the difference between a ME-109 ( early version, like a E) and a CE-109D? Looking forward to more pictures.

Jim

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Like the colours. It looks like you're eventually beating it into submission.

John

Hey John , I think 'it's beating 'me' into submission.  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

Mike, 

First it great to hear that your eye got better. I also had blood in one eye a few years ago due to high BP. That has been corrected and it never happened again. Very impressed with your build. I have a question regarding 109’s. What is the difference between a ME-109 ( early version, like a E) and a CE-109D? Looking forward to more pictures.

Jim

Thanks Jim , my eye is better but still not back to normal. It's like there's a sheet of white silk in front of my eye.

Other eye's fine.

The CE just stands for Cuttting Edge, the name of the now defunct company that marketed the D resin conversion.

The differences between the D and E series are mainly just that , the nose from the firewall forward and the underwing

radiators. Thanks again , stay tuned .

6xWdaN8.png

I think that the pirate look suits you Mike! lol :) (I hope that you recover soon).

You are doing a really good job with your 109 Mike, and as I also have the same conversion set, I have been following your thread with interest (I am not particularly a Luftwaffe fan as such, but I do fancy making mine as a night fighter variant of some kind eventually).

Messerschmitt Bf 109D1 11.(N)JG2 Black N+9 WNr 2079 and N+4 Norway 1940 01

Cheers

Derek

Hey Derek , thanks , yeah not many D's saw combat but they were still being built when

the E series started. That one in the foreground is a late one as it has the E style exhaust

that a few had. When you start yours, don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have any

questions.

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

I think that the pirate look suits you Mike! lol :) (I hope that you recover soon).

You are doing a really good job with your 109 Mike, and as I also have the same conversion set, I have been following your thread with interest (I am not particularly a Luftwaffe fan as such, but I do fancy making mine as a night fighter variant of some kind eventually).

Messerschmitt Bf 109D1 11.(N)JG2 Black N+9 WNr 2079 and N+4 Norway 1940 01

Cheers

Derek

(Nacht)/JG-26 Staffel ;)

On 12/16/2020 at 3:48 AM, Thomas Lund said:

Looks great. I used the AlleyCat conversion to do a B and a D version using Eduard kits as a starting point. Actually easier to put the resin nose on than to build the Eduard nose... so very very nice coversions. I have no experience with the CE...

Thanks Thomas , yeah in retrospect I would recommend using the Eduard  E-1 kit as it has the proper wing bottom

without the cannon bumps.  Kind of a pain filling those in on the Dragon E-3.  :shrug:

• MikeMaben changed the title to Dragon / CE 109D .. Masking Fun !

After spending some time creating the cut images for stencils (hours),

I finally got some more paint on this puppy. Early in the 109s development

there were quite a few changes / evolution in the size and placement of

factory markings.  Not fretting over total accuracy but want to get things

to fit into a general time frame , late 1938ish. Next is some red , then black.

Gettin' there,     putputput

XVn3VXb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So ... a little more color, black this time, only red left. I've been spending alot of time

messing with my new Cameo 4 ... nice :thumbsup:. My main problem with stencils like  Oracal  Oramask

is that they don't slide, which means you have to nail the position first thing or you

have to pull up and start over. I am 'not' good at nailing these things at all. Also, when

you pull them off the backing paper, they (mine anyway) are all static electricity and

want to suck up to my fingers  :unsure:. So there were those two major hangups for me.

To get rid of the static, I figgerd I'd dip them in water. Well that worked (of course) so

I also thot if dipped them in hot water with a fair amount of dishsoap in it, they might

slide a little better. So that worked too and it also made them a little more flexible.

Two birds with one stone (I've never really thrown a stone at a bird ;)).

Another thing that helped is that I finally got my right eyeball back. There was a sheath

forming behind the lense replacement I had some years back and it had wrinkles in it.

The Doc zapped it with a laser 25 or 30 times (no pain) so now I have my distance vision

and more importantly my depth perception :clap2:.

5LdIj1Z.jpg

jGnqSMd.jpg

So rolling on towards the finish line ... pocketa pocketa pocketa ...

Edited by MikeMaben