Weirdo's Digger

themongoose

Here's a fun build I started. Our local IPMS club has a MONSTER theme'd night coming up in the Fall. I've had this on my shelf for 20 years now! Time to get creative. I'm doing a combination RatRod and WWII fighter theme. 

This thing takes alot to clean up. The plastic is almost like what I see for vacu-form mold. Ejection pin marks all over it. And you'd think the base would have the pin marks on the back...BUT NO they are all over the top face. Geeez it's going to take tons of cleanup and bondo!

IMG_5733-S.jpg

Digger is all finished. Wow I'm really happy with how this turned out. The Big Red One is coming ashore! This rust method is going to take some more work. Each time I do it the colors seem to show up better. The biggest struggle has been getting the orange filter to show up. It really seems to build up slowly. I'm only assuming that since other lessons on filters say it take multiple coats. The Vallejo book doesn't really cover that though. Here are some pics I took with a clean background. Definitely going in the display case tonight [:P]

IMG_6308-L.jpg

IMG_6312-L.jpg

IMG_6313-L.jpg

IMG_6309-L.jpg

IMG_6315-L.jpg

IMG_6318-L.jpg

IMG_6320-L.jpg

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Awesome!!

It's like a Rat Fink special, super cool

Which reminds me that I still need to grab another Revell "Angel Fink" to  go along with my car models.

I built the digger, and as I recall a few others, when I was just a tyke, and loved it. Yours looks great, and certainly brings back some great memories.

20 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Which reminds me that I still need to grab another Revell "Angel Fink" to  go along with my car models.

I built the digger, and as I recall a few others, when I was just a tyke, and loved it. Yours looks great, and certainly brings back some great memories.

Wow i couldn't imagine building this as a kid. Digger was completely missing 2 steps for assembly! Love the cartoon instruction sheet for sure though! I’ve never had more fun with a build. Just deciding what to do and looking at pics of other people’s Digger was fun. There are so many creative avenues with these. I have the Drag Hag in my stash as well. My wife said she may paint it if i assemble it. Sounds like fun!

K2 I’ve never heard of Angel Fink, will have to look that one up :rolleyes:

Looks like a nice fun build!! I remember seeing these a lifetime ago at the department store toy sections. Didn't give them a second glance, weren't "serious" models. Fast forward 4-5 decades and they look like they could be something fun to do...

Don

On 7/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, themongoose said:

K2 I’ve never heard of Angel Fink, will have to look that one up :rolleyes:

It's a kit I had when I was a kid, and I'd really like to do another.

QTc0OP.jpg