Sopwith 'Swallow 1:32 scale

sandbagger

Hi all,
I've re-profiled the forward fuselage area from what was the Sopwith 'Camel' to that of the Sopwith 'Swallow'
It required the removal of panel 'nail' lines, spent ammunition chutes, re-positioning of panel joins, extending the lower 'cut-out' and filling/blending in the 'Camel' lower wing area.

Mike

Sopwith 'Camel'
compare1.jpg

Sopwith 'Swallow'
compare2.jpg

fusfill.jpg

Hi all,
I've started the painting in preparation for the application of the 'Aviattic' linen effect decals (CDL and PC12).
The external fuselage, wing, tail plane, elevator, rudder and fin were primed using 'AK Interactive' white (AK-759).
The fuselage forward side panels and front decking panel were airbrushed with 'Tamiya' ocean grey (XF82).
The rear decking panel and fuselage side panels were airbrushed with 'Tamiya' deck tan (XF55) the brushed with 'DecoArt' Burnt Umber acrylic oil paint, to create a wood effect.   
The undercarriage struts, fuselage cabane struts and over wing cable support pylon were treated the same.

I still have to create the 'in-fill' between the rear and front decking panels and paint the cockpit surround padding.
Then it's onto fitting the two weapons and ammunition feed and ejector detail, 

Mike

fus1.jpg

Hi all,
The engine cowl and after market ‘CMK Master Models’ Le Rhöne 9J (110 hp) has been fitted, which is the correct engine for the 'Swallow'.
The next step is to create cowl plates that were fitted to replace the 'Camel' strap type fasteners at the top of the cowl.
The bottom strap fasteners were retained.
Then final fit the two 'Vickers' guns and feed chutes.

Mike 

engandcowl.jpg

Hi all,
Both 'Vickers' guns are fitted along with their ammunition feed belts.
The 'Swallow' did not have ammunition ejector chutes, as fitted to the 'Camel'.
My assumption is that the ammunition was fed to each weapon from inboard of the breech blocks and spent rounds were ejected outboard over the fuselage sides.

Next is to sort out the wind screen and 'Aldis' gun sight.
None of the available data show an 'Aldis' sight fitted, other than the information supplied with the resin conversion set.
As the 'Swallow' was a 1918-19 design, it's quite possible that this sight was fitted,

Mike 

ammofeed.jpg

Hi all,
The forward fuselage and cockpit area is nearly done.
It included a fair bit of modification, no surprise there.
It includes adding the two machine guns, wind screen and 'Aldis' gun sight with cockpit support frame, adding access holes in the front decking panel and side plates in the decking panel cut-outs.
Also nail lines up the fuselage side panels and changing the retaining straps at the top of the engine cowl to those for the 'Swallow', which were metal retainer strips.

Next is to add the twin pitot-static pipes onto the forward right cabane strut and the cross bracing rigging between the cabane struts and across the forward two struts,

Mike 

forwardfus1.jpg

forwardfus2.jpg

forwardfus3.jpg

Hi all,
I've spent the last day or so applying the decals to the 'Swallow'.
The PC12 upper surfaces and the CDL undersides were 'Aviattic' linen effect decals. The decals are supplied as A4 sheets and are not 'cookie cut', so each has to be templated and then cut.
The white fin marking (AMA.E) and the name 'SWALLOW' of the fuselage sides were created, letter by letter, from 'Xtradecal' sheets.
The specific serial number of B9276 was also created from number/leterrs and white strip from 'Xtradecal'.
The biggest problem was the wing roundels, as the wing of the 'Swallow' had a wider wing chord than that of the 'Camel, therefore the 'Camel' decals were way too small.
In the end I resorted to Cutting up and re-assembling decals from both the 'Wingnut Wings' Sopwith Pup (RNAS) and the SE5a, both of which I had as spares.
For example the wing upper roundels were created from four separate cut decals.   
The colouring of the blue (lighter shade) on these roundels reflects that used towards the end of the conflict.

Mike

decalsdone1.jpg

decalsdone2.jpg

decalsdone3.jpg

cutroundel.jpg

Which Xtradecal set did you use for the serial code on the side? I need to do a custom number for a build coming up, and that would be a huge help.  The build looks rather excellent, and hopefully it will convince someone to produce a Swallow.

Matt 

Hi Matt,

The serial number B9276 was created using the 4 mm wide strip from ‘Xtradecal’ white stripes (XPS2) and the black number/letters (X72157).

The black fonts are not quite correct for that period, but are close enough.

The serial number strip was cut to length then applied and sealed. Then each letter and number were cut out, with most of the carrier film cut away, then transferred wet to the strip, positioned then dried.  

The fin marking of ‘AMAºE’ and the fuselage names ‘Swallow’ were created using ‘Xtradecal’ white number/letters (X72158).

Mike 

Edited by sandbagger