Sopwith 'Swallow 1:32 scale

sandbagger

Hi all,
The engine supplied with the ‘Wingnut Wings’ kit is for the ‘Clerget’ 9B or 9Bf engines.
However the last engine type to be fitted to the Sopwith ’Swallow’ was the ‘Le Rhöne’ 9J (110 hp), which is of a different design and copied by Germany as the ‘Oberursel’ Ur.II.
Therefore I chose to use as a replacement engine the ‘CMK Master Models’ Le Rhöne 9J (110 hp) - (kit No.129-5105). 

The most obvious difference in external appearance between the ‘Le Rhöne’ and ‘Clerget’ rotary engines is that the valve push rods were fitted to the rear of the ‘Le Rhöne’ engine cylinders, whereas the ‘Clerget’ engine had these fitted at the front of the cylinders.
Also the fuel/air induction pipes on both engine types were located at the rear of the cylinders, but whereas the ‘Clerget’ engine had these pipes connected to the rear of each cylinder head, those on the ‘Le Rhöne’ engine were connected at the side of each cylinder head. 
The push rods were replaced by 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and the ignition leads were twisted 0.125 mm diameter copper wire.
The spark plugs were replaced using 0.5 mm and 0.3 mm diameter brass tube.
The propeller boss and back plate were discarded as the I'll be using a wood 'Lang' propeller from 'Proper Plane'.

Mike

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Hi all,
I'm currently working on the internal rigging.
Here's the flight controls consisting 'Gaspatch' 1:48th scale turnbuckles (Type A and C), 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and 'Stroft' 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament.
The rudder bar was drill with 0.2 mm diameter holes to secure the four rudder lines using 0.125 mm diameter copper wire.
The elevator pulleys were also drilled through to accept the elevator line.
A short piece of tube was secured to the control column to act as the attachment for the elevator forward cables.
The floor under the pilots foot boards has cross-bracing added.
Only the ailerons control run is still to fit, but can't be until the fuselage is closed up, due to the way the cable is routed.

Next up is the cross-bracing to the cockpit side frames.

Mike

modfloor17.jpg

Wow!  The engine and cockpit floor look excellent.  Did you use blue and green washes on the cylinders, or are my eyes fooling me?

i just built an Oberursel engine, and I’m thinking a little colour added to the cooling gills would be a nice addition to the black and brown washes.

Gaz

Hi all,
I've been working away at the cockpit area, which is just about ready for closing up the fuselage.
All of the flight controls, except ailerons, have been added along with the visible cross bracing on the cockpit side frames.
I still have to seal the area and gloss the instruments.
Also fit the pilot's seat straps, gun trigger cables and fuel tank pressurisation pipe, but they will be done after the fuselage has been closed up,  

Mike

intfus.jpg

Hi all,
The fuselage is closed up now.
I've added twin trigger cables and the 'blip' switch cable to the control column.
Also the seat belts, cockpit cross beam and the fuel pressure pipe from the pilot's hand pump to the fuel tank..
As usual not much can be seen, although the cockpit on the 'Swallow' is more open than most, but the low wing cover a lot.

Now it's onto filling and profiling the external fuselage.

Mike

pitdone1.jpg

pitdone2.jpg

pitdone3.jpg

pitdone4.jpg

This build started as amazing in a very challenging way and has just gotten better and better. Absolutely superb work. Those Wingnut kits fit together so well that there is no wiggle room in the assemblies, and then you go and convert it to end up with a finish as seen in the last few posts. Wow!

Mike

Hi all,
The 'Lang' propeller is wood laminated from 'ProperPlane' and was airbrushed with a 'Tamiya' clear orange and Hull Red mix, to create a darker and varnished appearance.
The machine guns are from 'Gaspatch' and were modified to add a 'ring' gun sight and alter the angle of the cocking handles,  

Mike

propdone.jpg

gunsdone.jpg

Edited by sandbagger