1:32 Douglas A-26 Invader from Trumpeter/Hobbyboss?

Iain

I think the cowl shape may look more off than it is because the cowl flaps are open. I did a quick photo-shop with them closed:

Cowl_flaps_closed_zpsiatcheg5.jpg

Again, I do think the shape is off, just maybe not as bad as it appears.

I'm more concerned about the other shapes and details.

:excl:WARNING:excl:: Cold Water alert!
If you don't want to read about potential problems with the kit please skip the rest of this post.
I'm not kicking HB, just the kit that I have seen in the pictures...

First, they're calling it an A-26C but the box art shows an A-26B which was featured on a Bombshell Decals sheet (page 2 of pics, last pic):

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/bombshell48bs013reviewbf_1.htm

The canopy on the kit appears to be the early flat top rather than the bulged clamshell version. I assume they will include both in the box as the box-art plane had the clamshell canopy. It also has the ventral turret, so I assume they will include that in the kit as well.

As for shapes:
The upper nose glass looks much too bulbous. It's pretty streamlined on the real thing.

090609-F-1234K-005.JPG

High-rez pic here: https://media.defense.gov/2010/Jun/18/2000556599/-1/-1/0/090609-F-1234K-005.JPG

The canopy side panes should extend further down as should the lower corners of the windscreen. If you draw a line along the lower side pane it should be just below the top of the wing intersection (or is the top of the wing too low?).

j050_DT_142_43-22379_416thBG-Archive-Cac
The continuous curve shape of the windscreen intersection leads me to believe that the forward fuselage is too rounded or the windscreen itself is mis-shapen.
The side panes should be flat and almost vertical. They appear to be curved and angling inward.
The upper fuselage sides (between the windscreen and rear glass) should be flat with a relatively small radius on the top corner.  This is pretty obvious when looking at the corner intersections of the glass areas. The kit appears to have curved sides with a pretty big radius along the top corner.

43318486651_82d5c32f17_b.jpg

Pic found here (lots of good pics!): https://hiveminer.com/Tags/douglas%2Cinvader/Recent

The turret also appears to be too small in diameter. This is likely what they had to do to accommodate the fuselage shape that they made. Had they made it a larger diameter it would have appeared to dive down too much on the sides because of the larger fuselage corner radii. The shape of the turret also looks off. It should have a flatter curve. What they have looks more like the turret was replaced with a fuel tank as shown on the Bombshell sheet listed above (3rd pic in review).

I'm going to stop here for now...

Disclosure: I know almost nothing about the A-26 but I do like the plane. I built the Airfix kit when I was a kid. I more recently began gathering reference material for a 1/48 project that never got off the ground and in gathering those references became somewhat familiar with the plane.

:beer:

Hi Zactoman!

Your observations are right on! The shape of the upper fuselage is much too rounded and your photo shows it very well. It seemed the cowl shape problem is a very minor one compared to what you have pointed out!

I hope the model is a preliminary 3D print that can be changed before metal is cut. 

And being delirious now: Trumpeter/Hobbyboss are actually reading this topic and reworking the parts so the kit that comes out will be perfect...

Do not hope the kit will be modified because of a cross section or canopy shape issue. It won't. If you have any view on the amount of CAD and mold cutting work to correct that, you know this is not financially realistic. Too bad but that is a fact. They announced the release and will not postpone the release to mid-2020 to solve that. 

i like to have a kit as a canvas - it's a shame it's got flaws it seems and that is frustrating when it's a new design and the info is available, but fixing things is all part of the fun right :)

I would rather have a few corrections to make than nothing at all to start with..

Peter