EAA Airventure, OSHKOSH

RadBaron

13 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Hey Carl, I'll be there from Saturday to Thursday. Stopping in Hamilton to pick up Al Mickeloff, the Marketing Director for the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, and then we're driving all night to get there tomorrow. We were going to fly there in their new Dakota (the D-Day/Arnhem/Operation Varsity veteran) but the timings didn't work out. 

We could maybe connect once we're there? We can message here, or maybe on Facebook if you're on there? 

Have a safe drive! 

Richard

Richard, we'll be arriving Sunday at my sister's place. 

Discussing things with my wife, she's suggesting that I go on Monday and then we'll go as a family Thursday. 

Let's message here for the moment and figure a plan out I guess 

Carl

My son and i had planned this year (again, dohhh), but he'll be the only one in the States at this time, flying into Miami for work, so it'll have to be next year, so all you LSP guys and girls  that go, have fun at the event!!!

Well I failed at getting to the show today. Got off the highway and spent 45 minutes to get 3 blocks so gave up and went back to my sister's house. The line up was completely insane and this was at 845 in the morning. 

I'll try again tomorrow but earlier and hopefully have better luck.

Carl

My sis checked the news and the police were telling locals to avoid the area around the show. 

The parking delays are being caused by the grounds being too waterlogged for cars to park on from some recent rainstorms. So they're having a hard time finding suitable parking spots. 

Hopefully they'll be a bit drier tomorrow.

Yes, the grounds have been soaked after three severe storms, but yesterday and today were gorgeous. We got in before the storms and managed to get a high spot before it all let loose. The parking and admissions were a nightmare apparently, but I think tomorrow will be ok, 

This event is seriously mind blowing for aviation enthusiast. There are I think 15 Mustangs here, I've met Bud Anderson, and there are more aircraft than I have ever seen. Sitting drinking Jack Daniels at the moment watching Mustangs, A-10s, F-22s and F-35s playing tag with each other around the field. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

15 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

My sis checked the news and the police were telling locals to avoid the area around the show. 

The parking delays are being caused by the grounds being too waterlogged for cars to park on from some recent rainstorms. So they're having a hard time finding suitable parking spots. 

Hopefully they'll be a bit drier tomorrow.

Indeed. Parking was a HUGE issue in 2015 when we went, and it was dry as a bone. There were seemingly endless fields of parked cars.  To the point that on the way back to my Jeep one day during the show ( to sit in the shade of the Jeep and down some Gin and Tonics!) , my brother and I saw a gentleman wandering around aimlessly with a very confused look on his face.

Turns out he was from Eastern Europe, here for the AirVenture show, all by himself. His family apparently did not care about aviation, so he just flew from Europe for the show alone.  

He had parked in one of the 20 or so field lots surrounding Wittman field, but forgot which lot he was in, and was completely lost..............

So my brother and I offered to take him around to some of the field lots to see if he recognized anything. Turns out he was about 1/2 mile away from where he actually parked his rental car, but the 3 of us had a wonderful 1/2 hour conversation with him. His English was better than mine, and it was a great chat with a fellow aviation enthusiast from across the planet. 

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

His English was better than mine, and it was a great chat with a fellow aviation enthusiast from across the planet. 

And that has proven to be the most wonderful part of this whole experience. Everyone is here excited about the same thing, and I've met some amazing people from all over the world. 

We're sharing our camp site with an English guy who had trouble finding a dry spot...turns out he flies a T-6 and is learning to fly a Spitfire. He is a riot and likes beer. 

Anyone who has an interest in aircraft, modern or vintage, needs to take in this experience! 

Richard 

32 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Was stepping out of the tent at 6:00am this morning just in time to see five Mustangs and the Twin Mustang in formation, screaming at low level across the campsite. That's the way to wake up. 

Richard

Nice!! I bet that was a sight! 

We had a similar event near our hotel as we stepped out, only it was an F-22, an F-35 and a P-51 low level heading to show center......loudest flyover I heard the whole week.

Iain sums this this up nicely.  So jealous!  

I was just scouring the EAA Warbird sites and the picture of two P-51B’s in formation is just awesome.   P-51C’s?  The Anderson Old crow and Lope’s Hope.  Lovely picture.  There might be three P-51B/C in attendance?   Really?   Can anyone else confirm if two Mosquitos are in attendance?   Really?   The XP-82. Oh man.   Not to mention the Douglas A-26K, Special Kay.    I also see the XP-82 flying at twilight.  Another awesome picture.  

Last year in Singapore.  Man, I need my life back.   

Pictures anyone?    

1 minute ago, Troy Molitor said:

Iain sums this this up nicely.  So jealous!  

I was just scouring the EAA Warbird sites and the picture of two P-51B’s in formation is just awesome.   P-51C’s?  The Anderson Old crow and Lope’s Hope.  Lovely picture.  There might be three P-51B/C in attendance?   Really?   Can anyone else confirm if two Mosquitos are in attendance?   Really?   The XP-82. Oh man.   Not to mention the Douglas A-26K, Special Kay.    I also see the XP-82 flying at twilight.  Another awesome picture.  

Last year in Singapore.  Man, I need my life back.   

Pictures anyone?    

Yep, there were two Mossies in attendance in 2015 when we went also (no XP-82 however!), as well as Old Crow, and a fully restored flying NMF PB4Y-2 and the A-26K too you mentioned.   Oshkosh is an amazing aviation gathering for sure.