EAA Airventure, OSHKOSH

RadBaron

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Iain sums this this up nicely.  So jealous!  

There might be three P-51B/C in attendance?   Really?   Can anyone else confirm if two Mosquitos are in attendance?   Really?   The XP-82.

Pictures anyone?    

Yes, three P-51B/C, Old Crow, Lope's Hope and the Tuskeegee bird. Plus the P-51H. 17 Mustangs on the field so far...haven't been over this morning yet. 

One Mosquito, Firefly, Sea Fury, 2x Bearcats, 2x Skyraider, Spitfire IX, Hellcat, Avenger, dozens of T-28s...I can't even list all the types. I will post photos later this week when I get home, they're on my camera. 

The vintage stuff is fun too, two Trimotors giving rides. 

Too much fun. 

Richard

3 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Yes, three P-51B/C, Old Crow, Lope's Hope and the Tuskeegee bird. Plus the P-51H. 17 Mustangs on the field so far...haven't been over this morning yet. 

One Mosquito, Firefly, Sea Fury, 2x Bearcats, 2x Skyraider, Spitfire IX, Hellcat, Avenger, dozens of T-28s...I can't even list all the types. I will post photos later this week when I get home, they're on my camera. 

The vintage stuff is fun too, two Trimotors giving rides. 

Memories!  Really jealous, would have loved to have been there again this year.   

There was a food trailer ( a smaller white single or two axle trailer with a simple window in it) place down the long dirt road heading past the fields of private parked planes, down at the opposite end of Wittman, that used to sell THE absolute best Reuben sandwich I have ever had in my life.     It was run by some woman, and her husband and they sold other stuff too, and had a decent sized tent there to eat at...................I think we went there for lunch every single day we were at the show. Im not sure if you like Reubens or not, but this particular one was worth the walk/trip every day if you get a moment to hunt around for a great food stop.  

On 7/23/2019 at 6:25 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed. Parking was a HUGE issue in 2015 when we went, and it was dry as a bone. There were seemingly endless fields of parked cars.  To the point that on the way back to my Jeep one day during the show ( to sit in the shade of the Jeep and down some Gin and Tonics!) , my brother and I saw a gentleman wandering around aimlessly with a very confused look on his face.

Turns out he was from Eastern Europe, here for the AirVenture show, all by himself. His family apparently did not care about aviation, so he just flew from Europe for the show alone.  

He had parked in one of the 20 or so field lots surrounding Wittman field, but forgot which lot he was in, and was completely lost..............

So my brother and I offered to take him around to some of the field lots to see if he recognized anything. Turns out he was about 1/2 mile away from where he actually parked his rental car, but the 3 of us had a wonderful 1/2 hour conversation with him. His English was better than mine, and it was a great chat with a fellow aviation enthusiast from across the planet. 

I was at Oshkosh in 2016. Parking was smooth, my son and I showed up each day at 0700, we were row one at the main entrance each day. Getting out each day was easy too because we were one of the last to leave.

First in, last out. Straight to the pool to cool down and recover.

3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yep! Its always smooth if you get there between 7 and 7:30. If you get there anywhere near 8 or later, its a @#@*&%#.

I had no trouble getting my son, who was 11 at the time, to be up and ready to go each day, he was a real trooper.

I didn’t dare wait to see what the crowds were like later. It was nice to have the car so close too because I had a cooler in the trunk.

Well we fared much better today. We got there a bit after 8 and from exiting the highway to parking it was about 15 minutes. Of course we were in the lot opposite the museum instead of further in but it did make finding our car much easier when we left. The lines into the other lots weren't much longer but we didn't know the difference.:DodgeBall: 

Thankfully my boys didn't mind the extra bit of walking.

Saw a bunch of planes as Richard mentioned. My wife went off with our boys so I managed to meet up with Richard as well. It was great chatting and walking around all the planes. Every moment we looked up, something different seemed to be flying by. 

I may even try going back tomorrow on my own.  

Definitely worth the trip and I'm glad it synchronized so nicely with visiting my sister.

Great experience Carl!  Its one of the great aviation experiences one can have IMIHO.    

21 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Anyone been to a Flying Legends show at Duxford AND Airventure?

I was at the Duxford show with my father when I was about 6!  No OshKosh after that though. The Duxford show is on my bucket list as an adult for sure, along with Telford. 

6 hours ago, Jack said:

wow, nothing wrong with these pictures, you've got a great "phone" camera, thanks for sharing!!!

You're welcome! I've got a Pixel 3 phone. 

If you click the last Mustang photo it should take you to a video of the plane taxiing in next to me while I was looking at another Mustang.