Maverick

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

As a kid the ending had me super mad.......but that scene makes me want to build  Tomcat right now!

Same here! I wanted to see the Air Group bomb the Japanese task force and the Nimitz sail into Pearl past Battleship Row.

I saw a pic years ago of the VF-84 Tomcat from the film with a Zero kill marking on it. Can't recall where though. 

9 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Here's the movie that got me hooked on the Tomcat:

THIS!!!  .. over all the Top Guns any day!

They should have made a sequel to this flick instead of Top Gun. Today's Nimitz sails back in time to the Nimitz of '79 just returning from their time trip of the original movie. Do some comic book style misunderstanding dodidas a la "super hero vs super hero first, whoops, got that wrong, let's be buddies and whack the villain together lalala" (i.e. a neat nasty ol' Soviet carrier) and bang you got a movie that should be REAL fun! Imagine ..... Jolly Rogers Super Hornets vs. Jolly Rogers Tomcats!  Oh the stereotype alert. It couldn't get any more corny hihihi.

Is it my imagination or does it seem Hollywood writers just regurgitate the same movies over and over again?   I imagine the cost to make a movie these days is seriously astronomical but please,  is it the writers these days?   Nothing seem original these days.   It’s like we see the same movie version I, II, III, IV over and over again.   I must be getting old and grumpy.   I’m not a huge Marvel fan but there are some semi interesting movies in the twenty plus series I enjoy but I’ll wait for Netflix.  The movies of my youth were awesome.  Jaws, Close encounters of the third kind, Star Wars,   They looks rather amateurish these days but back when you were a teen it was awesome,   

i cant recall the last time I went and paid for an actual movie?   Avatar maybe?    Ten years ago.   

In conclusion.  I might partake in the new Top gun movie.  Maybe!   Kindly asking if you guys can add some funds into my paypal account because if it’s sucks, well I’ll blame it on you jet freaks anyway!    Just a side of humor here, relax.  

Indeed Hollywood seems all about the money more so today than ever, and it seems sequels generate that, and if it made money once, hey why not try it again! 

For something like a "Top Gun II" kind of movie,. being an aviation buff, I have to go into it not getting hung up on realism, but more keeping in mind Im going to this for it to be entertaining, not necessarily realistic. I find if I keep that kind of attitude, I enjoy myself much more. 

9 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Is it my imagination or does it seem Hollywood writers just regurgitate the same movies over and over again?

Well, given that there are only seven basic stories in the whole of humanity I suspect some overlap is required! But you have a point - Hollywood really only exists to make movie company shareholders money, so they tend to back safe releases which they know will put backsides on seats. That's why there's a plethora of superhero films - I think they're all trash, but apparently Joe Public likes them and keeps on buying tickets to see them, so the producers make more of them, so Joe Public goes and sees them, so they make more of them...

To be fair, though, the studios need these big, dumb releases. They make them lots of money, which means they can fund more films - and not just blockbusters, but smaller films too. That's why the Oscars value certain types of movie over blockbusters - it's a kind of nod to the fact that most cinematic output is brain-dead nonsense for the masses, but there is still some art left there.

Edited by vince14

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

As a kid the ending had me super mad.......but that scene makes me want to build  Tomcat right now!

Oddly, when the Nimitz went back through the storm, the strike group was still out, but when they returned to the ship, they were all in the current time-frame. I found that to be annoying.