Fuji FA-200, 1/20 Nichimo

mgbooyv8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Again a small update this time.

Wiring the engine is finished, so I could turn my attention to the exhaust stacks.

This was a fiddly job with constant test fitting.

Each stack connects two opposite cylinders to one heat exchanger/muffler and exhaust pipe.

One of the stacks consists of two parts.

Maybe you remember that my engine turned out slightly wider than it should be. <_<

To make the stacks fit the engine I had to lengthen the transverse pipes.

I sawed them in two in the middle and added a piece of rod.

Strength was maintained by drilling both ends and supergluing in a piece of metal wire.

The stack consisting of two parts was lengthened at one end to ensure it reached the vertical pipe of the righthand rear cylinder.

Here is the result:

51156696604_2463053f2c_b.jpg

Now I can paint the exhaust parts before fitting them to the engine.

The exhaust pipes are not yet glued to the heat exchangers/mufflers to ease painting and fitting.

To be continued.

Cheers,

Peter

Those are great pictures, thanks for posting Bartinair! :punk:

Its reassuring to see that the exhaust stacks in the kit have the same configuration as the real MBK. :)

I suppose the baffle plates were painted orange during the overhaul?

Another question: do you know if the oil breather tank and the associated inverted oil system is a later addition to MBK?

If it was there from the start when delivered to Martinair Vliegschool, then I will have to add it to my model. ;)

I don't know, because I learned to fly on its successor, the AG-5B Tiger, which was brand new at the time.

TIA!

Cheers,

Peter

Hello Peter,

the baffles were painted orange during the overhaul, the previous colour was grey-blue, and the oil breather tank was fitted shortly after I purchased the aircraft in 2008.  I dont know if there was any in the martinair period.

I came across your awesome build during my search for a nichimo 1:20 kit ( i found an unstarted one, it was delivered to me yesterday) .

I will be happy to help you with pictures etc.

best regards.

Bart.

Hello Bart,

Thanks for your answers, that's good to know!

I don't think the oil breather tank was fitted in the Martinair period.

After all, they did flight training and no aerobatics training (except possibly for the occasional spin which is prohibited in the Tiger and TB10/20).

That saves me some work. ;)

Great that you found an unstarted kit, they are rare!

Thanks for the offer to help me with pictures etc. :punk:

I have one already for you:

there are two hoses connected to plugs at the righthand side of the firewall.

The upper one goes down to the electrical fuel pump I think, that's how I modelled it.

I don't know to which part the lower one is connected and was not able to work it out from my pictures of LFC.

TIA for your answer!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Bart,

Thanks, that would be great!

The pictures already show I have to reroute the fuel hose. ;)

I'm not striving for absolute accuracy, otherwise the the model will never be finished.

But the hoses are very visible with an opened cowl panel so it is good to have them routed correctly.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi guys,

Small update today.

I painted the main landing gear legs silver (Revell 90) with a hairy stick.

Then work on the leg covers was started.

As they were already glued together when I got the kit, I sawed them apart with a razor saw.

The flange at the rear was sacrificed, so this will be replaced with a plastic strip.

The mating surfaces came out a bit ragged, so  some plastic strip was glued in:

51169041829_e4bcc7a5c8_b.jpg

After curing, the mating surfaces can be filed flat.

I had to mark them left and right on the inside, they are handed as a result of the wing dihedral in combination with vertical legs.

To be continued...

Cheers,

Peter

On 7/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, mgbooyv8 said:

Thanks guys! :)

Well, what's in the box?

The instructions and the decals:

48309620926_931b9a64f1_b.jpg

An empty sprue with the stand to keep it on its three weels and a sprue with wheel spats and some interior parts:

48309729582_bd29f4d013_b.jpg

A red and a black sprue with interior parts:

48317684902_8303d5fca3_b.jpg

A sprue with not very convincing figures; the same as in the Cessna and probably the same as in the Hughes 500:

48309616721_154d9269fc_b.jpg

Sprues with engine and cowling parts and

a flexible sprue with torsion links for the undercarriage and a battery holder to power

the electric motor (not in the box anymore ), landing and taxi lights:

48309725382_d438557cf1_b.jpg

A blister with sliding canopy and rear part of the cabin, a blister with small metal parts for undercarriage and engine, optional rubber tyres  and other stuff,

a clear sprue with the windows and the landing light cover:

48309612376_45104187af_b.jpg

I have put the detached control surfaces in  separate bags, including the wing tips,

I did the same with detached undercarriage parts, other small parts etc.

The black parts are the interior floor and a holder for the electric motor if you wish to spin the prop:

48309721352_24c81569b8_b.jpg

Finally the wing- and fuselage halfs and the small light bulbs. One of the lights is gone, so these won't be used:

48309608806_a6a8a21ab3_b.jpg

As an extra I got "mini-me" from my modelling friend Meindert: the Eidai 1/72 version.

Don't be surprised if it will sometimes make an appearance in this thread: ;)

48309607461_e0eb92dbb8_b.jpg

The plan is to make a Fuji of "Martinair Vliegschool" like the one below:

48309667181_c6a123d568_b.jpg

You already see that Martinair used two different versions of the Fuji. The rear one has a different cowling than the forward one.

The forward Fuji on the picture has the same cowling as in the kit, so most probably I will model PH-MBK. ;)

Also I will not need the wheel spats. I haven't see any pictures of Martinair Fuji's with wheel spats installed.

I will start with neatening the control surfaces.

They are movable and their leading edges fit nicely into recesses at the trailing edge of wings and tailplanes.

The best approach is to finish them in nice white paint before they are attached. It will be fairly easy to mask them when the whole model will be sprayed.

I think this way I will avoid nasty paint ridges. ^_^

To be continued...

Cheers,

Peter

Cool kit and another famous Fuji in the background the PH-PCV that featured in a tv series long ago can't remember the name do.

Hi Bart,

Those pictures are great and help a lot!t!

I think i need to reroute some hoses. ;)

By the way, if you need paint masks for the registration for your model, just let me know.

Cheers,

Peter