1/24 Airfix Hellcat

Vynce804

Hi All,

Of all the models I have painted this is by far the most difficult. And it’s only one colour!

There are many versions of GSB to choose from from different manufacturers and each is a little different.  And in the end I decided on the Tamiya mix  of xf17, xf8, xf2 in a 5:3:2 ratiowhich to my eye comes close.  The difficulty is getting any depth into the finish.  I like to post shade my paint and with lighter colours it’s easy as  the contrast between your base colour and your post shade is not as great as it is with a dark colour such as this blue.  I think I’m getting there after lots of trial and error. Ive left the paint with a touch more contrast that I would  ideally like but think that will reduce with washes filters and oils but I can at least see light at the end of the tunnel!

cheers

matt

8802heP.jpg

gfk0SL6.jpg

s9CfzJR.jpg

M7DOx9F.jpg

On 9/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, dpastern said:

I'm curious, did you experience any of the fuselage fit issues that are seen in the video below at the 28:35 mark and afterwards?

Hi Sorry for the late reply.  As others have said, Yes the frame behind the cockpit is slightly too broad so prevents the fuselage from closing up.  I did sand mine to fit which was a simple fix but left it out in the end as I closed the lower access panel so it wouldn’t be seen anyway.  Great kit though and I’m really enjoying building it.  Cheers. Matt

I’m reading this and thinking to myself “my fuselage went together without a hiccup then read Matt’s comment about leaving out the frame. I omitted the frame from mine as well, I also left out all the details (radios etc.) in the rear fuselage (my build is stalled at the moment...can anybody give me a push?) I’m thinking the frame must be the culprit?

sorry...back on track now, beautiful work Matt!!

Hi All,

This will be my last WIP post for this build as bar a few last minor things it’s almost done.  I’ll post some pictures of the completed model on ‘ready for inspection ‘ hopefully over the weekend.  Thanks for following along and all the kind and encouraging comments.  Cheers. Matt

P7LdEib.jpg