1/24 Airfix Hellcat

Vynce804

Hi All,

i remember when Airfix first announced a new 1/24 kit was on the way and all of the speculation started.. maybe a p51b,  a gloster  gladiator,   A Corsair (how awesome would that be!).  Or even a P38!!  So when the hellcat was announced I was a bit disappointed and a little underwhelmed!    That didn’t last long and as more and more details of the kit emerged I came around to the idea and nearing release I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it!  I’m not disappointed,  what a great kit,  the plastic is great to work with,  the detail is brilliant. And the  finished model will have real presence in any collection.  I’ve made a start on the cockpit and engine.  The plan is to have all the panels open like my bubble top typhoon. And if I’m brave I may also fold both wings but may end up with one out.

cheers

Matt

fDG3Z6n.jpg

Things are progressing slowly,  no paint yet, but soon!  I have been using the  air scale cockpit upgrade set,  I was in two minds as to wether I would use it as the kit cockpit is really nice and you do loose some of the raised detail with the pe set, but decided to use it as I bought it after all.  Easy to install and work with so far. And think the decals will definitely enhance the look of the finished cockpit.  Cheers. Matt

CnmWRMw.jpg

I’ve had time to put a bit of colour on the cockpit,  I think it is almost done but may add a bit of chipping.  I think the green is a little green but it’s the mix Tamiya recommend in their mustang kit,  if I do another I may use Mr color h58 which looks a better colour.  So far the kit is a pleasure to build.  There are a few frustrations like the engine core and the fuselage frame behind the cockpit but nothing that can’t be fixed.  Cheers. Matt

YXTMuOA.jpg

11 hours ago, monthebiff said:

That is super nice, are those belts really moulded on and just painted? 

Regards.Andy 

Hi Andy, yes they are the kit plastic belts with just a bit of careful painting.  Cheers. Matt

2 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Andy, yes they are the kit plastic belts with just a bit of careful painting.  Cheers. Matt

They're separate parts though, right? One of your earlier photos shows the kit seat without any hint of moulded-on seat belts.

Kev

7 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

They're separate parts though, right? One of your earlier photos shows the kit seat without any hint of moulded-on seat belts.

Kev

Hi Kev,  yes correct, the 2 shoulder and 2 lap belts are separate parts and the seat cushion has belts moulded into it.  Cheers. Matt

Quick update,  major milestone achieved as the fuselage is joined.  Lots of tape, but generally fits really well.  I omitted all of the internal detail aft of the cockpit to simplify things as  this wouldn’t be seen on the final model.  I’ve also been moving on with the engine and have many of the major sub assemblies built and painted. Cheers. Matt

pSmefOa.jpg

5ja0TcU.jpg

0t3LilQ.jpg

acwYuyT.jpg

N0YGPFH.jpg

gDxo1s8.jpg