Revell Spitfire FRIXc MK915 pink recon

Fanes

On 7/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, Biggles87 said:

Good to see this back, looking forward to seeing the camera bay.

John

Thanks John - I fear that it will take some time to complete the camera bay since there's still a lot to scratch.

Mostly the camera installation and the interior of the access door.

On 7/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, dennismcc said:

Nice to see that this one is back on, pink Spitfires look amazing.

Cheers

Dennis

I can't wait to spray some pink paint :D

On 7/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, kkarlsen said:

Great to see your back on the 'pink pather'

:D

Thanks a lot Kent - i need to revisit your Mosquito to build to get some inspiration for the camera mounting!

No pictures as of today even though I spent an entire evening fiddling with the seatbelts.

I'm not a 100% happy with the eduard fabric (HGW?) belts. I guess the next Spit will get Radu's Sutton belts.

Regards

Joachim

• 3 months later...

I've been away from the forum for a while so missed your posting the finished cameras, unfortunately now the photos aren't loading for me! I'm excited to see how the build is progressing.

Amazingly, since we spoke I sold my mount for the F24 to a British PR Spitfire project that is returning to flight! I still have the camera, however.

14 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I've been away from the forum for a while so missed your posting the finished cameras, unfortunately now the photos aren't loading for me! I'm excited to see how the build is progressing.

Amazingly, since we spoke I sold my mount for the F24 to a British PR Spitfire project that is returning to flight! I still have the camera, however.

Nice to have you back on board Zac!

Thanks for the heads up. Scalemates somehow messed up some of the picture's links. I restored them all.

Your post remidned me to post some progress. I between my other builds I assembled and installed the sutton belts.

872828-34859-51-1440.jpg

872829-34859-93-1440.jpg

I'm not a 100% happy with how they laid down and their overall look. RB productions belts would have been the superior choice...

Happy to hear that your camera is getting back in the air in the most beautiful plane of all time:D

It really is the time to tackle/scratch the camera mount!

• 7 months later...

Oh dear gorgeous - it's been half a year..

Since I didn't have any succes with scratch building the type 25 camera mount 3D printing was the logical choice - at least for me.

The firs set of parts were printed on a friend's LCD printer and they turned out better than I hoped!

A second batch with the camera mount rotated to the side is on its way.

1022405-34859-34-1440.jpg

Another thing I tried to do was the camera bay door and I was about 80% there when Pastor John announced his PE parts for the recon Spit.

I'm going to wait for them since they will be superior to my efforts with replicating a thin piece with rivets and braces.

43 minutes ago, Wackyracer said:

Great to see this back on the bench. 

I'm also awaiting the updates from Aims for my second pink spit a G converted from a mk.1. Gave up chasing Alleycat for their canopies etc.

Thanks for checking in Aaron!

Well, let's say it's near the bench :D There's still more stuff to decide before proceeding.

Some idiot already glued the wings together. Not ideal since there's finally a correction from Barracuda for the spupidly shallow radiators..

I'm looking forward to your G conversion since I'm planning to do a D (probably BR416) in the distant future.

So much beatiful Spitfires to build!

6 hours ago, Fanes said:

That's looking fantastic!

The eduard PE really dresses up the sparse wheel wells.

What references are you using?

All sorts to be fair. Valiant wings, the pages on here from wings of fame volume. Merlin PR spitfires for the fuel tank, and Shacklady book for a ton of info too.

14 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

All sorts to be fair. Valiant wings, the pages on here from wings of fame volume. Merlin PR spitfires for the fuel tank, and Shacklady book for a ton of info too.

Some more stuff to add to the library!

I've been looking for the  Merlin PR Spitfire books for over a year now..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The undead Spitfire

Well the Mojo kicked in - maybe triggered by my raflle win - and a bunch of long awaited AM has arrived from Hannants.

1136039-34859-64-1440.jpg

I'll use some of Pastor John's beautiful PE parts to dress up my FR IX - most importantly the camera compartment door.

My scratch built attempt was for sure everything but beautiful.

The Barracuda parts are meant to solve two emiment shortcomings of the Revell kit.

A: the horrible radiators

The replacement parts were ordered for my planned RP XI conversion (with another AIMS set) buuuuuut they would suit this Spitty as well.

Only problem: I already glued the wings and you're supposed to drop them in from above.

1136038-34859-61-1440.jpg

I see the following options:

1. live with what Revell provides
  2. cut the alignment tabs from the resin part, drop in in from below and then struggle a lot to get them flush
  3. try to wiggle them in with their alignment tabs - may be possible since the inboard quarter (I guess) isn't covered from the wing's top

What would you recommend?

B: the carb intake

Revell's intake is awfully short and misses the prominent lip. My initial plan was to hack up the Tamiya part and that to Revell's lower cowl.

The Barracuda part adresses said issue with a drop fit replacement.

But see for yourself (Tamiya - Revell - Barracuda):

1136041-34859-70-1440.jpg

Well, upon closer inspection I noticed that a certain someone ordered the wrong resin part.:BANGHEAD2:

Now I have the short intake as opposed to the (late) long one.

Hello - another order from Hannants...

C: the swiss cheese, eh rivets

A well critized aspect of the Revell kit is that they let Trumpy's mad rivetter let do the fuselage surface detail.

They are really way too deep. For unknown reasons the detail on the wings and one side of each elevator is much more refined.

My solution so far: a heavy coat of primer sanded back to plastic to make the rivets more shallow

1136609-34859-61-1440.jpg

The rivets on the engine cowl are much finer. Didn't notice that without the primer though.

Up clos to where we are now.

1136608-34859-68-1440.jpg

The vertical lines aren't stressed skin but nasty sink marks. I'll get the CA and sanding stick ready.

Once the surface is clean and smooth, I will finally get to install the camera in its compartment, insert the cockpit and close up the fuselage.