Revell Spitfire FRIXc MK915 pink recon

Fanes

With my Hasegawa Bf109F-4 in the books and the recon 110 nearing the painting stage - I thought I might start my next build. With three german planes in a row an allied bird will be a welcome variation.
Choosing the Spitfire as my next build wasn't too hard to decide but which one?
A Tamiya Mk.VIII or IX? - a Revell Mk.II or one of the Malta Mk.Vs (converted from Revell Mk.II)?
Ultimately my choice fell on a recon Spit (no wonder since I'm into recon planes). A conversion to PRXI is to much butchering for me right now - so FRIX it is!
spit_fr_9_pink_mk716.jpg

(source: IPMS réal côté - for discussion only)

I'll build one of the famous Spitfires in PRU pink - MK716 as shown above.

The inventory for this project:
632404-34859-83.jpg

Since the Revell kit is cheap as hell (at least in Germany) I can justify putting more money in AM than the kit itself:

• eduard brassin cockpit
  • eduard exhausts
  • eduard fabric seatbelts
  • Master cannon barrels
  • Barracuda wheels - maybe I just go with the Revell wheels with the PE covers from my Tamiya kit

The camera window in the fuselage will be scribed with the template from Alleycat (the PRXI conversion is already ordered).

Edited by Fanes

Excellent choice of subject.  Two bits of advice if I may:

(1)  Not too pink: basically white with just enough red mixed in to turn it ever so slightly pink.

(2)  If you like weathering, these birds could get quite dirty.  There's a couple (iirc) of photos in Ventura's Merlin PR Spitfires which show quite a lot of grime on the airframe, particularly the wing roots.

Following with interest.

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Excellent choice of subject.  Two bits of advice if I may:

(1)  Not too pink: basically white with just enough red mixed in to turn it ever so slightly pink.

(2)  If you like weathering, these birds could get quite dirty.  There's a couple (iirc) of photos in Ventura's Merlin PR Spitfires which show quite a lot of grime on the airframe, particularly the wing roots.

Following with interest.

Thanks for the advice Mike! I'm planning to use MRPs PRU pink which should basically be light grey with a pink hue.

I've seen enough pink pigs - eeeh Spitfires :whistle:

That book is on my wishlist for quite some time now. but it seems to be oop?

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Thanks for the advice Mike! I'm planning to use MRPs PRU pink which should basically be light grey with a pink hue.

I've seen enough pink pigs - eeeh Spitfires :whistle:

That book is on my wishlist for quite some time now. but it seems to be oop?

I think it is OOP, but may be available second hand perhaps.  Sorry, but I'm not parting with mine.

Modelling time is limited to the weekends and some short periods after work right now, so this is just a small start.

For unknown reasons Revell incorpororated two bulges on the wing right over the wheel wells. Well as far as I know there's no picture of any wartime Spit with such bulges.

They must have looked on a restored airplane with bigger tyres, but that mistake was already in their Mk.II kit with another bulge shape...

Thankfully the plastic is quite thick and with some sanding and a lot of patience the removal of said bulges is no hassle.

It seems to me that Revell gave the design of the surface details to Trumpeter's mad riveter. Those rivets aren't small impressions but more crater sized.

My plan is to shoot the fuselage and wings with Alclad primer, followed by some sanding to reduce depth.

The rivets on the wing in front of the main spar were puttied over on the real thin and so I filled them in using the Archer method (putty-lacquer thinner-pigments) followed by a brushed coat of Alclad primer - just to be safe.

633055-34859-47.jpg

I will shoot a coat of primer and will then try to restore the lost rivets over the wheel well - yay first time riveting!

I also like a pink Spitfire, so I’m looking forward to this.

My decision not to buy any Revell 1/32 Spitfires was heavily influenced by the rivet ‘ pinholes ‘ having spent many hours several years ago filling and sanding those on the Dragon P-51.

Good luck

John

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I also like a pink Spitfire, so I’m looking forward to this.

My decision not to buy any Revell 1/32 Spitfires was heavily influenced by the rivet ‘ pinholes ‘ having spent many hours several years ago filling and sanding those on the Dragon P-51.

Good luck 

John

Thanks John!
Well, I plan on doing an armada of Spitfires and two or three will be built from the Tamiya kit which is too expensive for all Spits I'm planning to do.
I really fear to tackle the Rvell Mk.II kit which will need raised rivets on the rear fuselage instead of simply filling those huge holes.

Speaking of holes eeeeh rivets: Is there an easy technique for riveting circles?

I checked my plans and the wing top has a circle of rivets where the wheel well is beneath.

Some time on the bench later..

I thought that I had bought a riveter a while ago but in the end I never did. So until my riveter from RB productions arrives, I'm heading towards another area:
The camera bay!

Since I'm adding a detailed resin cockpit it seemed reasonable to me to add the camera bay by scratch.

First step: cut out the radio(?) acces panel:

634108-34859-49.jpg

The corners need some sanding to retrieve the right radius.

The fuselages plastic is really thick, so I had to thin it down a lot. Scraping and sanding like a maniac? - check!

634106-34859-72.jpg

The acces panel itself had all its rivets filled and is now ready to recieve the hole for the camera window, new rivets and dzus fasteners.

634107-34859-72.jpg

Drilling the hole has to wait until my Alleycat PR XI conversion, which includes an ezched template, arrives.

Notice the rough surface of the fuselage compared to the sanded door. That will consume a lot of time to reproduce on the whole fuselage.

My plan is to that in one step with filling the gigantic rivet holes.

The fuselage and the wings have some shape issues carried over from the Mk.II kit. I tried to correct them like Derek did on his build.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/51684-revell-132-spitfire-mkiia-kit-built-as-a-54-sqn-spitfire-mkia/page/5/

Pictures of my wrestling with plastic will follow soon!

A callout to all Spitfire experts:
Are there dimensional drawings for the bulkheads out there?
I need to scratch bulkhead no.13 and 14 because my attempt with reshaping the kit's bulkhead no.12 wasn' auccesful at all.