Revell Spitfire FRIXc MK915 pink recon

Fanes

Thanks to @KiwiZac I was able to redesign my F24 camera.

After some hours in CAD here it is:

648332-34859-31-pristine.png

648333-34859-64-pristine.png

The minimum wall thicknes might prove to be a problem since SLA usually requires 0.5mm.

I'm curently looking for an affordable 3D printing service. Right now the cheapest I found  was 18€ for the SLA print.

If someone also needs F24 camera - don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by Fanes

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some colour!

While I'm waiting for the F.24 camera I turned my attention to the cockpit. I started it off with a grey Alclad primer.

649820-34859-24-1440.jpg

Followed by a a satin black coat (Tamiya X-18) and aluminium for the rear cockpit.

652597-34859-26.jpg

After a sufficient drying time I laid down a random base of Mr.Color C364 grey-green.

652598-34859-67.jpg

With some careful belnding I ended up with a finish which is quite alive - at least to my eye. Enjoy:

652599-34859-97.jpg

Right now I'm collecting all my references for painting all those tiny details. More pictures soon to follow!

Edited by Fanes

10 hours ago, Fanes said:

With some careful belnding I ended up with a finish which is quite alive - at least to my eye. Enjoy:

652599-34859-97.jpg

Right now I'm collecting all my references for painting all those tiny details. More pictures soon to follow!

that is a fabulous finish to build on & the detail is amazing :)

Peter

On 9/14/2019 at 10:46 AM, Lothar said:

That cockpit looks stunning :goodjob: looks like you do know how to handle paints and airbrushes !!

Lothar

Some years of struggle with an old Vega airbrush and acrylics seem to pay off when switching to lacquers an my H&S Evolution :D

Again there's not much spare time right now, so it's only baby-steps so far.

I tackled the Spit's seat. The original was made of paper reinforced resin and there are plenty possibilties to paint the model seat.

• one single brownish colour - nope, ot for me
  • a splotchy fnish using a sponge; comparable to the chipping technique
  • and my favourite: brown colour and pencils!

Warbird did the latter on his Tamiya Spitfire five years ago and I really liked the effect.

And here's my take on it:

653654-34859-78.jpg

So long

Joachim

• 2 weeks later...

Painting all the small details

It took me a long time to figure aout how to paint all the small parts in the cockpit.

Post war Spits show quite some difference between the single parts. After same back and forth I decided to go with a mixture from photos in the Monforten book.

My references are a Mk. XVI (TE214) and a Mk. IXc (NH188) which are called out as unrestored.

It turned out quite colourful which shouldn't be too bad with respect wo the bright colour but monotone colour on the outside.

656820-34859-16.jpg

656821-34859-29.jpg

I tried something new on the IP. The base is Tamiya NATO black which is basically a light greenish black. I then added shadows by spraying ultra thin black from below, followed by a dark grey from above. The aim was to add increase the effect of lights and shadows but have a look for yourselfs

655358-34859-80.jpg

Pleas ignore the dust :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Nick32 said:

Really impressive work, that cockpit is looking fantastic. I was thinking of getting the Brassin cockpit set for a Spitfire mk2 build but i'm a little hesitant now!

Well, I'll be using all those fine bits from Barracuda for Mk.II together with the beautiful Yahu instrument panel. Add some lead/copper wires and the cockpit should be superior to eduard's offer - especially if we're talking value for money!

The “shadow” technique is a Brett Green/Chris Wauchop standard that I’ve used on most occasions in cockpits. Their recommendation is a near-black base coat with a lighter (choose your colour depending on model/nationality of aircraft) on top with the airbrush held at a fixed angle from above thereby producing shadows below cockpit furniture. As you mention Joachim, the effect needs to be subtle to be effective. 

Looking great so far.

I’ve always thought that the bottom of the cockpit in the Revell kits is not curved enough, but I think that your painting technique will give it more depth. 

I don’t see the emergency undercarriage lever on the starboard side yet, is it included in the kit?

John

EDIT. Just remembered that you are using the Brassin cockpit. The bottom part still looks a little ‘ flat ‘ to me compared to the 1/48 Aires sets so my comments above still apply.

Edited by Biggles87

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking great so far.

I’ve always thought that the bottom of the cockpit in the Revell kits is not curved enough, but I think that your painting technique will give it more depth. 

I don’t see the emergency undercarriage lever on the starboard side yet, is it included in the kit?

John

EDIT. Just remembered that you are using the Brassin cockpit. The bottom part still looks a little ‘ flat ‘ to me compared to the 1/48 Aires sets so my comments above still apply.

John, you're absolutely right - the bottom misses indeed the curvature of the real thing. Tamiya does a better job imho.

The lever you called out is a prepainted PE part and I'll add it later on.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:08 PM, Fanes said:

Thanks to @KiwiZac I was able to redesign my F24 camera.

After some hours in CAD here it is:

648333-34859-64.png

648332-34859-31.png

The minimum wall thicknes might prove to be a problem since SLA usually requires 0.5mm.

I'm curently looking for an affordable 3D printing service. Right now the cheapest I found  was 18€ for the SLA print.

If someone also needs F24 camera - don't hesitate to ask!

I just might need one. Pink Fr spitfires have always caught my eye.