Revell Spitfire FRIXc MK915 pink recon

Fanes

Decal time

After a gloss coat I started to apply the few decals eduard includes for the cockpit, or I wanted to start but something puzzled me:

660054-34859-16.jpg

The decals are quite thick (more of that later), the instrument dials are on a multi piece decal but they're not single decals and the coloured ones are out of register.

I'm not going to apply them like they are. Taht's agood reason to finally by the RP toolz punch-and-die sets.

You might notice that there's no decal for the compass included which is beyon any reasoning since the resin part is very nice and that massive compass is a distinctive Spitfire feature!!

MDC to the rescue:

660055-34859-18.jpg

There aren't many placards included (I'm thinking about buying an extra set from Airscale) but here's one of them. Not the quality I expect from eduard - what do you guys think?

660056-34859-48.jpg

After all that negativity there's room for some joy. I installed the Master brass barrels for the Hispanos:

660057-34859-66.jpg

Cheers

Joachim

Two new toys arrived today and after not even an hour of use I can't imagine working without them:

662028-34859-79.jpg

I used these sweet tools to punch all the decals for the IP and here's the result:

662027-34859-18.jpg

The rate of climb dial (upper right on the blind flying panel) recieved a punched piece of acetate for its glass, Even though it's not fixed to its final position, it looks a lot better than the drop of gloss coat I used to apply - at least to my eye.

Another gloss coat over everything and I can apply the pin wash.

The IP looks really effective Joachim, well worth all the angst and effort.  The thickness of placard on the door looks rather thick in the photo, but what’s it like in real life, how noticeable?

53 minutes ago, mozart said:

The IP looks really effective Joachim, well worth all the angst and effort.  The thickness of placard on the door looks rather thick in the photo, but what’s it like in real life, how noticeable?

It looks a little worse in the picture than it's like in real life. But on the another hand th door will be posed opened and quite noticeable in the end.

I might try to strip the decal and add the one supplied by Revell.

• 4 months later...

Time to resurrect this build from the SoD - inspired by Wackyracer's fabulous PR XI build.

My SLA printed F.24 cameras finally arrived. Well, I had to switch to a professional 3D printing service which was quite expensive but defintely worth the money!

Have a look mates:

707429-34859-64-1440.jpg

707430-34859-97-1440.jpg

Keep in mind that those cameras aren't bigger than 1cm!

I have to look into my cockpit for some modifications regarding the camera control and the bigger issue: the mounting frame for the camera.

Cheers

Joachim

Edited by Fanes

On 2/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, Wackyracer said:

Superb. Those cameras were worth all the effort. Looking forward to seeing them installed.

The more I look at them the more I think that they need to be displayed outside the fuselage.

Almost nothing will be visible once the camera is installed with its mounting bracket.

• 4 months later...

It's almost been half a year and I finally pulled the Spit back from the SoD.

The cockpit recieved its dark green wash and a flat coat.

803012-34859-87-1440.jpg

The IP is finally finished with the instrument glasses made from clear acetate. How could I evere live without a punch and die?

803011-34859-83-1440.jpg

Stay tuned for more progress on the camera assembly.
I decided to scratch the camera cradle and leave the camera compartment wide open.

Cheers

Joachim

9 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great-looking cockpit!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you very much Mark!

8 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

So pleased to see this back on the bench.

Aaron - I must admit that your beautiful Spits had something to do with it ;)