F-105F Thud in Vietnam War

Apologies if this has already been posted. Did a search and couldn't find any results.

Anyone know about F-105F operations in the Vietnam War? From 2 aspects really - did they ever operate in NMF or BMF silver finish and did they ever operate in a non SEAD role ie not Wild Weasel and on regular bombing missions alongside F-105D?

Not sure how many were in the combat zone in the look-alike aluminium finish but they certainly flew in camo as Combat Martin GCI jamming platforms (the backseat being replaced by black boxes) and, albeit in the Weasel antenna configuration, as Ryan's Raider night-time interdiction bombers. 

HTH

Tony

I don’t think they operated over VN in the aluminium finish but don’t have any books accessible for a few hours.  Will check when I get back later.  As I recall they were only used for SEAD duties there as the D was adequate for the conventional bombing role.

I have never seen any doped F-105F used in combat in SEA. The ones that were used were either in standard camo, either in limited use wraparound camo (such as the Ryan's raiders bombers mentioned by Tony).

If you want to build a non-SEAD F-105F used in SEA, a Ryan's raiders' one is a nice idea.

The F in Thierry's pics may have been used for theatre familiarisation flights or similar. 

Agree that a Ryan's Raider is your best option: just bombs and ECM pods

Tony 

After rummaging in various books I found a statement that the cam scheme replaced the aluminium finish in mid-1965.  The first record I can find of the F being deployed on ops in VN was later that year (November, I think), with the Commando Nail programme starting in April 1967.