Got Tips for a High-Sheen Civilian Finish?

Gazzas

Hello Friends,

As the topic suggests, I'm attempting a high-sheen, non-military finish.  I'm using MRP Lacquers (MRP Primer, Paints, and Gloss clear) in a 3-color scheme with a lot of masks.  About 60 separate pieces.  I've never done a non-military finish before. 

Yep...it's all new to me.  My biggest masking job ever, new paints, and first time ever Civvie.

To me, I see a lot of potential for failure.  Why not do a simple Civvie scheme you ask?   The truth is...  I'm not overly thrilled by civilian aircraft.  So, at this moment I don't foresee a lot of bright colored aircraft with shiny paint schemes in my future.  So...  I'm going as big as my mind can contemplate.

So...  That being said...

I'd really appreciate any wisdom you might share!

Thank you!

Gaz

A polish kit with 1000, 2000, 5000, 6000, 8000 and 12,000 is a must for me personally. And of course paint prep makes all the difference. After that for me it comes down to the clear. I prefer lacquer based clears, and I've had good luck with MM's Ultra Gloss Clear, but I usually decanted it from the rattle can.

I used MM's UGC on my Fisher  September Fury

20190714_132214-XL.jpg

I've also had excellent luck with MRPs lacquer based single stage clear as well. I used that on my Extra 300 SC

20180811_220632-XL.jpg

20180811_220803-XL.jpg

Afterword when the clear is well cured (I normally wait a week or so) I take Novus plastic polish and hand polish the clear to a high shine.

HTH

Thank you, Brian!

I wouldn't have thought of using plastic polish on the clear coat.   I have McGuire's Plastic polish.

Fortunately I have plenty of fine micromesh on hand.

Those are two fine looking models, and are even more adventurous than my scheme. 

I might have to practice on my paint mule a little.

Gaz

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

A polish kit with 1000, 2000, 5000, 6000, 8000 and 12,000 is a must for me personally. And of course paint prep makes all the difference. After that for me it comes down to the clear. I prefer lacquer based clears, and I've had good luck with MM's Ultra Gloss Clear, but I usually decanted it from the rattle can.

I used MM's UGC on my Fisher  September Fury

20190714_132214-XL.jpg

I've also had excellent luck with MRPs lacquer based single stage clear as well. I used that on my Extra 300 SC

20180811_220632-XL.jpg

20180811_220803-XL.jpg

Afterword when the clear is well cured (I normally wait a week or so) I take Novus plastic polish and hand polish the clear to a high shine.

HTH