Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Silhouette weirdness

So I have a full sheet of things for the cutter to cut.  When I feed the cutting mat and the mask material into the machine and start it cutting, it seems like it picks random pieces of the designs to cut.  You'd think they would program it to cut the way a printer prints - from the top of the sheet to the bottom of the sheet.  Instead it cuts one part, then scrolls down and cuts another part, then scrolls back up and over to another part, over and over.  If it were to cut the way a printer prints it could cut in a fraction of the time.

Yeah, it threw me the first few times watching it. Thinking I'd put the sheet in wrong or too far over to one side. I just let it get on with what it does the way it wants to do it now, go downstairs and do something else for those 5-10 minutes. 

Same weird logic of cutting have my Graphtec CraftRobo cutter, sometimes function "COMBINE" in Corel X4 helps  to reduce randomly  rolling and cutting here and there, sometimes not.

After 5+ years of use, i still not have answer to this question.

If someone have the answer , will gladly read it and learn something new.

I saw large plotters (for D and larger size drawings) work exactly the same way many years ago, even more bizarre to see it jump all over a huge page plotting out a bit here and a bit there. Could never understand the logic but when done it looked OK

Morning all...I've been in the graphic design and sign industry for over 30 years..and have used vinyl plotters for at least 25 of them..they all work the same...not to worry,  just remember to save the layout, in case there is an issue..save save save..

Regards,

Peter

Could it be to avoid stressing 1 part of the vinyl for any length of time? after all the backing paper is designed to let go, so continued dragging over it can loosen it from the background? Just a thought.

This is a function of vector graphics, aka CAD drawing. A regular printer (I'm going from memory here so be kind to me) converts the page to raster graphics - left to right, top to bottom, but CAD or vector graphics has a (for printing) a 2D start point, vector and distance. When a printer (plotter, cutter, etc.) that prints vector graphics starts the file it prints the first line drawn in the base program, then subsequent lines in the order they were added to the original file. It gets a little more complicated when multiple files are merged or items are imported into the base file. I think that's why you are seeing the cutter jump to random points during the print cycle.

When I was cutting with my laser cutter and printing plans on my plotter (old r/c business) I imported my CAD files to CorelDraw and created layers to help speed the printing process. In Corel I could re-assign and re-order the individual parts to prevent the (seemingly) random printing process. I learned later how to do it directly from the CAD program so I could eliminate the additional work in Corel. Try looking at your file to see if it has been layered. If not maybe experiment with that to see if it changes things.

Mark

Close your nodes..... Our laser does the same if you are messy with your artwork, or, if you really want to start a fire, import dxf artwork from Solidworks or NX. Ask me how I know.... Make sure as much as you can, that nodes are closed, joined, whatever your program calls it. Otherwise the plotter will just go to the next start node, and cut to the matching end node. So what looks like a rectangle will cut as a rectangle if the corners are single nodes, but cut each side as a seperate cut, if the corners are actually the end of one line, and coincidentally there is a start node in the same place. It sees each cut as entirely unrelated. And will cut them in an unrelated order. Far worse, if you have a bunch of identical curves on top of each other, the plotter, and more excitingly the laser, will cut all of them.....

None of my artwork uses layers unless there is a specific reason for it.  It just confuses me.

And all (all, always, forever and ever) paths are closed.  Open paths in AI are a recipe for frustration and disaster when it comes to decal art.  

Sometimes you get a line over a line that you can't see, in Autocad there is a function called 'overkill' that gets rid of them. I used to use a Trotec Laser that was run from a Coreldraw based program but it only liked polylines not actual lines ( don't ask me why ) and it would go and cut the 'lines' 22 times and virtually start a fire. The randomness of cut I found is whatever order you've drawn something up and it will usually follow that. I've only ever seen a really neat program that would sort all this nicely and get rid of points and give you a good graphical image of the direction of a polyline many years ago which was a DOS based program called 'Sign one' which the developers of my CNC program decided to abandon. Great shame. 

Graham