Airfix 1/24 P-51K Main Wing Spar Template

Peter

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had or knew of a template for the main wing Spar for the Airfix 1/24 P-51K? As i understand it needs 5 degrees dihedral added as the out of the box angle is pretty flat. Too bad Airfix does not have an addendum site with such files available... Or if anyone knows where to buy such a thing or even a how to to complete myself. I do havea pic from this foprum that I may be able to transfer measurements from but it's at weird angle... 

Appreciate the assistance!

Peter

I just cobbled together this hand-drawn template that I used on my build. I'm not friendly with computer graphics software, but I included a scale at the bottom in inches and mm. I can send the full-size file in an email. If anyone can clean these up in a suitable program that would be a big help, and appreciated. 

The wingspar is based on the drawing in the book published by Patrick Stephens. The other bits were templates I drew for improving parts of the kits, especially the gear doors and wheel well roof with the ribs. The resulting parts required some sanding and dry-fitting but it worked. You can see how they were used in my "In Progress" thread below. 

h1tmbC9l.jpg

This is how it ended up looking:

CAcLOqPl.jpg

t2IDsfvl.jpg

But...if you can wait a while, ModelMonkey is going to be producing a wingspar/wheel well fix, and their products are brilliant. They have a shape-corrected cowling for the Airfix Mustang, as well as exhausts and shrouds, radios and one type of seat. All of them are sharp and accurate, so I am expecting the same for the wingspar and wheel wells. 

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated... R Palimaka Thanks for the drawing. I have found the book online and ordered. Also Lee thanks for taking a look for that book. This is my first 1/24 model. I bought the Hellcat and Typhoon but wanted to start out with a little less detail. However, I cannot overlook zero dihedral.

Edited by Peter
update

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated... R Palimaka Thanks for the drawing. I have found the book online and ordered. Also Lee thanks for taking a look for that book. This is my first 1/24 model. I bought the Hellcat and Typhoon but wanted to start out with a little less detail. However, I cannot overlook zero dihedral.

You're welcome Peter. That's great you found a copy of the book. It's a bit dated in parts, but still useful. 

And you are right, fixing the dihedral makes a huge difference to the appearance of the model. The other thing is the length of the landing gear, it does need to be shortened to make it sit right. 

The Airfix Mustang is still the best place to start for a 1/24 P-51D/K (or Mustang IV to some of us). Even though a bit soft in detail compared to the Trumpeter kit, at least Airfix got the shapes and dimensions right (and almost 50 years ago). Good luck with it, and definitely look at the ModelMonkey parts, depending how far you want to take the detailing. Looking forward to seeing photos.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

I found the book. It’s the one from Patrick Stevens. I didn’t realize you have ordered a copy of the same book until now. The spar template in only about 75% complete. 2v2ECP4B8xeZA4.jpgIt will need to be copied and the two pieces joined. I just finished making copies on transparency film and plain paper. If you think it will save you some time, I can send them. 

Edited by Lee in Texas

47 minutes ago, Lee in Texas said:

I found the book. It’s the one from Patrick Stevens. I didn’t realize you have ordered a copy of the same book until now. The spar template in only about 75% complete. 2v2ECP4B8xeZA4.jpgIt will need to be copied and the two pieces joined. I just finished making copies on transparency film and plain paper. If you think it will save you some time, I can send them. 

Hello Lee! Thanks for the effort! You can email me the files via my profile I presume. I am still getting the hang of how things work (mechanically) on LSP. Sorry if I am botching it up. I really appreciate the drawings... As is typical for me (in 1:35 land), I start out with "I am not going deep on the detail on this"...  "It's only a reference build (intro) for 1:24 scale projects" and now I have the Detail & Scale books, Air-scale Panel, the Scale AC Conversion landing gear (for Trumpeter but I will make it work), and Richard introduced me too Mr Model Monkey>>>LoL!  So here we gooo...

I only have the hard copies. I would need to send them via snail mail.

BTW that Patrick Stevens book is great. Some really good reference photos, plus drawings for converting to a P-51A and the old Miss RJ racer.

1/35? How about a 1/16 tank?

Edited by Lee in Texas

On 7/13/2019 at 2:37 PM, R Palimaka said:

I just cobbled together this hand-drawn template that I used on my build. I'm not friendly with computer graphics software, but I included a scale at the bottom in inches and mm. I can send the full-size file in an email. If anyone can clean these up in a suitable program that would be a big help, and appreciated. 

The wingspar is based on the drawing in the book published by Patrick Stephens. The other bits were templates I drew for improving parts of the kits, especially the gear doors and wheel well roof with the ribs. The resulting parts required some sanding and dry-fitting but it worked. You can see how they were used in my "In Progress" thread below. 

h1tmbC9l.jpg

This is how it ended up looking:

CAcLOqPl.jpg

t2IDsfvl.jpg

But...if you can wait a while, ModelMonkey is going to be producing a wingspar/wheel well fix, and their products are brilliant. They have a shape-corrected cowling for the Airfix Mustang, as well as exhausts and shrouds, radios and one type of seat. All of them are sharp and accurate, so I am expecting the same for the wingspar and wheel wells. 

No worries Lee... I think I have the same book in the mail on the way. 1/16 armor is HARD to do without it looking like a toy. Having said that, Dave Parker (Meng AFV Modeler and Meng Air Modeler magazines) makes it look easy.

57 minutes ago, Lee in Texas said:

I only have the hard copies. I would need to send them via snail mail.

BTW that Patrick Stevens book is great. Some really good reference photos, plus drawings for converting to a P-51A and the old Miss RJ racer.

1/35? How about a 1/16 tank?

No worries Lee... I think I have the same book in the mail on the way. 1/16 armor is HARD to do without it looking like a toy. Having said that, Dave Parker (Meng AFV Modeler and Meng Air Modeler magazines) makes it look easy.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:37 PM, R Palimaka said:

...if you can wait a while, ModelMonkey is going to be producing a wingspar/wheel well fix, and their products are brilliant. They have a shape-corrected cowling for the Airfix Mustang, as well as exhausts and shrouds, radios and one type of seat. All of them are sharp and accurate, so I am expecting the same for the wingspar and wheel wells. 

Yes, indeed, and thanks for the plug!  The set is tentatively set for a mid-August release pending any "life happens" events.

More 1/32 Beaufighter products coming soon, too.