Spitfire Mk 18

SimonCornes

Has anyone produced a fin and rudder for this mark? I am contemplating making one from scratch but there's not a lot of point if its been done already! I am talking about the 'big' rudder with split trim tab.

Another question, can you tell me how, aerodynamically, the split trim tab works? Why not have a standard one like virtually all other Spitfire marks?

Thank you

That’s an interesting thought Graham. I am looking at 1/48th profile drawings in the new Valiant Wings book on Griff Spits but the key point is  ‘accurate’ isn’t it ?!! In truth I think outline is the key so I need to compare the drawing with a square on photo first of all. After that it’s checking the drawing for scale size - and I know how long the hing line is so it becomes a matter of ensuring that the drawing is right. After that it’s easy isn’t it?

Ill see what I can do but, having that info, I might just make my own rudder.

7 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

Has anyone produced a fin and rudder for this mark? I am contemplating making one from scratch but there's not a lot of point if its been done already! I am talking about the 'big' rudder with split trim tab.

Another question, can you tell me how, aerodynamically, the split trim tab works? Why not have a standard one like virtually all other Spitfire marks?

Thank you

On the split trim tab, the large part is an actual trim tab. The smaller part  is a servo tab and it moves oposite to the deflection of the rudder.

The purpose of the servo tab is to make it easy for the pilot to control the rudder. For example, when the pilot adds left rudder, the servo tab moves to the right deflecting relative wind to the right pushing the rudder to the left. 

V/r 

Paul