Airbrush question

Bstarr3

I've been using a Badger Patriot 105 for a few years. It's a fine brush - adequate for most jobs and certainly my skill level. But I think I've gotten good enough that I'd like to try a better tool. In the $150-175 range I am looking at the Iwata HP-CS and the Grex xGi3 (or xSi - any opinions on side feed vs traditional gravity feed?). For slightly cheaper the Badger Krome also seems to get good marks. Both the Grex and the Krome have an adjustable trigger stop, which seems like it would be helpful for fine line detail, while the Iwata doesn't. Any opinions on these brushes? I'm really not wanting to jump up in price to the H&S brushes, and I've heard that they are very fragile as far as the needles. I'm also interested in easy cleaning, as keeping your brush thoroughly clean is really one of the keys to having it perform as it should. How are these products to clean, in general, or compared to the Patriot? Thanks

My “go-to” airbrush was an H&S Infinity CR+ until I bought a Sparmax  GP35. The pistol grip and trigger of the latter makes using it so much more natural than the conventional “pencil grip” airbrush. I can’t recommend the Sparmax highly enough and it has all the features you’re looking for including ease of cleaning, a 2 minute thorough job.

Edited by mozart

I've got 3 main ABs: Infinity H&S, Iwata HP-CS, and an Iwata Neo top feed pistol grip.

The H&S is king for fine lines, but I've gone through more than 5 needles with my clutzy hands, the Iwata Neo is a great choice for larger jobs with a nice pistol grip and a low price. Its a bit more complex to clean though, but its low cost offsets that IMHO.

But........the HP-CS is all around king in my book. It's got a stellar combo of competitive price up front, super stout design with a hell for stout needle, easy to clean, and I've managed everything from super fine mottling, to painting a 32nd Flanker base coat. It's by FAR and away the best all around AB I've ever used if you only can get one. HIGHLY recommend.

I’ve got the Krome and find it complements my patriot nicely. It’s slightly more difficult to strip than the patriot and the tiny nozzle means I use it almost exclusively for shading with very thinned paints. It’s a great brush for that sort of work imo and is good value for money. 

Thanks Tim. I believe this takes the Krome out of the running for me. I'm looking to relegate my patriot to primer and clearcoat duty and have something else to take over general purpose duty, including a little bit better than my patriot for fine lines. I'm not however looking for a dedicated small detail brush. This is good information.

Also, someone over on britmodeller spoke very highly of the Gunze/Creos/GSI/Mr Hobby (whatever they're called!) Procon Boy brush, so I've added that to the running.

I'm also intrigued at trying a trigger style brush, which both Grex and Mr Hobby have. Does Iwata offer a trigger style HPCS equivalent?

Ultimately I think I'm going to try something out and see if I like it, so a retailer with a good return policy would be great (ie doesn't have to be unopened/unused to return) if anyone has a favorite to recommend

So ive been using a Patriot for a very long time. couple years back i got a great deal on a sotar 2020 and i love it, this year i was hesitating to go with a Badger Krome  or Iwata HP-CS after tons of reading i was pretty convinced to go Iwata, but then there was the badger anniversary sale and it was too good to pass up.

I now have

• Patriot 105 for primer and clear coats
  • Sotar 2020 for small detail job since the brush is physically small and fine point
  • Krome for everything else

Im really LOVING the krome, it took me a little to get used to since the nose is longer (tip to cup) but its a really good brush. i just painted my entire 1/32 BF-110 with it using the black basing technique. Essentially the Krome is a Patriot sized Sotar

one thing that i dont like is that Badger replaced the Metal lid buy a silicone cap that has a huge hole, since i use enamels it just dosent do it. So i got Patriot style caps that i got from Badger directly and i cant complain no more. Apparently they did this based on feedback that the metal lid would fall off in some angles and was hard to achieve a perfect seal.

Unrelated to witch AB you end up with i did get a G-MAC - Grex Micro Air Control Valve  and is a game changer for me, not only for air control but also holding my Airbrush

Hope this helps

I made myself go blind in the past week looking for all the reviews, youtube videos, and opinions I could find in all corners of the internet.  Ultimately, it came down to the exact same thing people said here - "They're all good, you just need to decide which one you like."  Since I don't have the opportunity to check any out in person (no local hobby shop or art supply that will let you try them), I just pulled the trigger.  The big thing for me was discovering over on britmodeller that H&S are massively cheaper in the UK than here, even with an unfavorable exchange rate and international shipping.  So, I bought an H&S Evolution silverline from modellingtools.co.uk, along with a spare needle and nozzle, an extra color cup, the Infinity-style two prong needle cap, and a cleaning set for less than the Eclipse or Grex cost from Amazon or Spraygunner.  I'm very satisfied with my decision, and excited to get my new toy! I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. Thanks all for your help with the decision.  Oh - and I'm definitely going to grab a G-MAC from amazon as well!

17 minutes ago, Bstarr3 said:

I made myself go blind in the past week looking for all the reviews, youtube videos, and opinions I could find in all corners of the internet.  Ultimately, it came down to the exact same thing people said here - "They're all good, you just need to decide which one you like."  Since I don't have the opportunity to check any out in person (no local hobby shop or art supply that will let you try them), I just pulled the trigger.  The big thing for me was discovering over on britmodeller that H&S are massively cheaper in the UK than here, even with an unfavorable exchange rate and international shipping.  So, I bought an H&S Evolution silverline from modellingtools.co.uk, along with a spare needle and nozzle, an extra color cup, the Infinity-style two prong needle cap, and a cleaning set for less than the Eclipse or Grex cost from Amazon or Spraygunner.  I'm very satisfied with my decision, and excited to get my new toy! I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. Thanks all for your help with the decision.  Oh - and I'm definitely going to grab a G-MAC from amazon as well!

Great choice!  The Infinity is the fine line king, and the trigger adjustment provided by H&S is second to none. For mottling you will get the best results by far, especially with their nozzle hoop, that keeps the nozzle a set distance from your work.  It really is a great airbrush.

My only caveat would be to watch and be very careful with the needle. If you havnt already, I would recommend ordering a (few) replacements if possible. 

6 minutes ago, Bstarr3 said:

I did order a spare needle and nozzle. I understand that they reformulated the needles last year. Have you used those and did they have the same durability issues you ran into before

I have not. I really need to order some if they reformulated the needles. Its  the only real weak point in the ab IMHO.   I was always amazed at how tough the Iwata needles were, and why H&S could not formulate theirs similar. I would use mine much more if its needle was more durable.