Tamiya Spitfires

MikeC

I'm just building Tamiya's new 1:48 Spitfire Mk I (yes I know which forum this is, but please bear with me, it is relevant :)).  As well as plastic and decals, you get etch and masks (albeit Tamiya's cut-'em-out-yourself type), and the level of detail is absolutely amazing for a 1:48 scale kit.  The parts layout tells me there could be extra variants planned, perhaps Mk V-related.

But my point is that the level of detail is such as may be found in any respectable 1:32 scale kit, so notwithstanding any previous "What-do-we-want-from-Tamiya-next" threads, I now find myself hoping they'll see the light and extend their range of 1:32 scale Spitties with a Mk I.

Ah well, a chap can dream, can't he?   :piliot:

I still believe the Tamiya Mk IX is the best engineered 1/32 kit ever.  A big part of my nomination is the engine assembly.  So yes I hope they do a 1/32 Mk I/II.  I also agree that Tamiya puts more into a 1/48 kit than many manufacturers put into a 1/32 kit.  I have not purchase their MK I yet but will in time.  

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

Why not? Good to hear it’s a great kit maybe they’ll also do a mk viii/ix in 48 (Eduard has already released nice kits though) Haven’t built their 32 kits but seems like the general consensus is they are brilliant.

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

I'm just building Tamiya's new 1:48 Spitfire Mk I (yes I know which forum this is, but please bear with me, it is relevant :)).  As well as plastic and decals, you get etch and masks (albeit Tamiya's cut-'em-out-yourself type), and the level of detail is absolutely amazing for a 1:48 scale kit.  The parts layout tells me there could be extra variants planned, perhaps Mk V-related.

But my point is that the level of detail is such as may be found in any respectable 1:32 scale kit, so notwithstanding any previous "What-do-we-want-from-Tamiya-next" threads, I now find myself hoping they'll see the light and extend their range of 1:32 scale Spitties with a Mk I.

The newest generation of Tamiya kits are fantastic.

Modelers who strictly adhere to a single scale do themselves a real disservice.

The new 1/48 F-14 kits are also incredible.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

As I said elsewhere, their 1/48 Il-2M3 is as close to a perfect model kit as I've ever yet seen.  The fit is so precise you often have to really look closely to see where parts join.

3 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

I'm building the 1/48 Tamiya Bf-109G-6 right now, if it is a representative of tamiya's current molding and engineering skills I can't wait for my next tamiya build!

1 hour ago, DONG said:

Yep I just finished they're 1/48 F-14A not even a pin head size of filler was used and I have the 1/48 109G-6 waiting in the pile. 

Don

All good candidates for upscaling too - once they've done the Spitfires, of course. :)

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

Wouldn't it be so much nicer if WNW did a Mk1 Spitfire, in early, mid and late boxings? It would be so much more accurate - imagine nicely done rib tape on the rudder and elevators etc, instead of Tamiya clumsy tape, imagine dome rivets behind the cockpit, overlapping panels and oil canning on a Spitfire. Now that would really be a WNW kit to look forward too - 

Edited by 19squadron

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

The new 1/48TH scale Tamiya Spitfire Mk 1, is not that great, it has;-

1/really clumsy rib tape as per usual Tamiya in any scale

2/ no riveting of any description on the wings or fuselage, - the Eduard Mk IXc VIII kits have it beat there

3/ a very sharp crease in the fuselage following the canopy rail aft of the cockpit that is not right and a wrong curve to the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit

4/ an unfortunate cockpit arrangement to show the canopy open that again even Eduard managed to avoid.

5Eduard are already talking about a 1/48th Spitfire Mk I with dome rivets overlapping panels etc - and the chances are that will shade the new Tamiya Mk 1.

5 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Tamiya's has been out for several months.  Eduard's is vaporware.  They can say anything they want to say, but it doesn't exist except perhaps as a bunch of whirring electrons someplace.

Eduard's Mk IXc is out and has been for a long years and is better than the new Tamiya.

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

... I seriously doubt Tamiya will be doing a 1/32 Spitfire Mk.I either.  

If and when they do, we can discuss that at the time.  Meantime, let's shut this down, eh?

I'm sure you right, but it doesn't hurt to dream.  In the meantime, I have to say that I think the latest trend for rivets over everything is way overdone on many modern kits.  Of course, I grew up with Airfix bagged kits, and the trend was to remove them, that was one thing that marked out a "serious modeller" then.

The other thing I have to say about the Tamiya 1:48 kit: lovely kit though it is, building it does remind me why I prefer 1:32.  All those fiddly bits in the cockpit in particular remind me of the Eduard trend for breaking things down into as many parts as possible.

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

I'm sure you right, but it doesn't hurt to dream.  In the meantime, I have to say that I think the latest trend for rivets over everything is way overdone on many modern kits.  Of course, I grew up with Airfix bagged kits, and the trend was to remove them, that was one thing that marked out a "serious modeller" then.

The other thing I have to say about the Tamiya 1:48 kit: lovely kit though it is, building it does remind me why I prefer 1:32.  All those fiddly bits in the cockpit in particular remind me of the Eduard trend for breaking things down into as many parts as possible.

I absolutely agree with you in your first paragraph.

- for people who just want something easy to assemble I understand the attraction of Tamiya, though I see no real difference in the quality of WNW's engineering in that regard, however the "fiddlyness" of removing Tamiya rib tape in 1/48 or 1/32 and replacing something that more nearly matches the look of a real aircraft [Spitfire] far outweights the small part count in any kit in my view. Something that Tamiya could definitely learn to improve upon from WNW, and I'd sayditto with fueslage surface too.

Time will tell on the promise of overlapping panels and dome rivets on Edurd's forthcoming Spitfire Mk I, but they have already prototyped the idea on their new Tempests - Personally I think the Tamiya Spitfire kits in both 1/48 and 1/32 look really bland around the fuselage and are crying out for more work, but the new 1/48th kit is not accurate in the fuselage section either.

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

I read the new 1/48 Airfix Spit, Me109, Hurri and Stuka etc are pretty good. Maybe they could do something in 32nd? 

Edited by Pup7309