What is your favorite decal paper and solvent for custom decals?

Thunderbolt

Hi all

What is your favorite 

1. Decal paper (brand, ink vs laxer, clear vs white decal paper)

2. Printer ink sealer (i.e., krylon spray vs Papilio decal fixative)

3. What do you use to get your decals to set to your model ? (Microset/Microsol, etc)

thank you

Do you have good success with the micro scale decal film?

On 7/13/2019 at 12:33 AM, MikeMaben said:

What type of printer are you using ? laser , inkjet , Alps ?

I have an Alps too and if they're not sealed they will rub off.

I only use Microscale Liquid Decal film.

I use a Brazilian Decal paper, the Sirap paper. they have it in White or trasnsparent foil, to Inkjet or to Laser. I use the transparent type to laser print, and pritn tem in a professional Laser print.

I do the art in corel draw and then take them to a local printing shop. to get the decals printed. With these method, I havea perfect decals, with no varnish sealing. These decals could be used easely, without any troubles. Of course, this kind of tdecals could not be applied with none decal setting solution, who could damage the decals. When the decal is applied over a recessed panel line, I let them dry and cut the dacal with a blade over the line, and apply the wash over the sealing varnish, who let the decal oerfectly apllied.

For sealing I use automotive poliester varnish, who dries in 3 minutes and is perfect to wash with oil pastels.

Cheers, Paulo.

... if they're not sealed they will rub off.

I've never had them rub off but I've had the ink scratch off (tomato-tomahto?).  I normally don't seal them until after they're on the model and I don't print them until I'm ready to use them, minimizing the chances that I'll scratch the decal.  For those that don't know, the Alps printer ink is like a wax (for lack of a better term) that sits on the decal paper.  If you rub your fingernail across the decal, it will scratch the ink (wax) off and that decal will be ruined.  Sealing may minimize or prevent damage on the paper...I can't say for sure never having done it.  For sure, it'll make the decal more resistant to abrasion damage but how much more, I cannot say.