USAF F-100D FINISHED!

ericg

On 2/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, John1 said:

Forgot to ask earlier Eric, how did you manage the camo paint job?  Freehand or using masks?   I could never get acceptable results using either method.    

Hi John,

I painted the camouflage freehand with an Iwata HP-BH Airbrush.

Some more work. I received the excellent Videoaviation BLU-27 unfinned Napalm bombs. 

IMG_2360-X5.jpg

Parts:

IMG_2363-X5.jpg

I chose to drill out the major parts to lighten the bombs a bit.

IMG_2364-X5.jpg

I assembled the parts, no need to clean them, and assembled them with superglue. I used Tamiya extra fine primer, which adhered to the resin without any problems at all (must be good resin!). I then painted the bombs with SMS Camo Black.

IMG_2386-X5.jpg

Painted using the black base method with a couple of different shades of Alclad, glossed with SMS clear gloss, and then decalled. These will look great as a contrast to the cam paint on the jet.

IMG_2399-X5.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dutch Man said:

Very nice. I use the BLU 27s myself for the load out of my Iranian F-4D build.

Very nice resin indeed. Mine show the ignition from both sides, mounted on a MER.

YnZnope.jpg

Will for sure make an interesting load out. 

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi Robert,

That looks like an interesting load out, a fair bit of whoop arse there!

On 2/3/2020 at 6:03 PM, ericg said:

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Nice pickup. Whilst researching the build, I decided to go with the green that I used based upon the photo below. As I am using a dark brown wash over the panel lines, the area that I have painted the name has become tinted and appears a bit more olive than in the harsh light that I use when the photo was taken.

f-100d_63163-11%20%281%29-X3.jpg

20 hours ago, ericg said:

I assembled the parts, no need to clean them, and assembled them with superglue. I used Tamiya extra fine primer, which adhered to the resin without any problems at all (must be good resin!).

Amazing! Funny how that works-

always a pleasure to work with high quality aftermarket.

looking great all around mate!

cheers

Pete

Thanks guys.

11 hours ago, themongoose said:

LOVE the mottling and contrast on your napalm! Drilling them out looks like it was a good idea. You must have shed half the weight?

Yes, it saved around half the weight. I figured that the model has to lug them around for a long time so I may as well have made them lighter.

Some more work.

I added the Aires photo etch rivet detail to the inside front frame of the canopy, and used lead wire to simulate the round tubing which is attached to it.

IMG_2372-X4.jpg

I really wanted to simulate the weld beads all over the tanks. I filled all engraved panel lines except for the major joins, and then taped up each bead.

IMG_2387-X5.jpg

Using a paint brush, I dabbed Mr surfacer brown over each line.

IMG_2388-X5.jpg

I repositioned the front filler caps onto the left side of each tank. A hole was drilled, then a circle scribed around each one, before a disk of plastic card was inserted into each one to depict the filler cap.

IMG_2411-4K.jpg

The rear fins were modified from the kit ones by sanding them so they were much more swept back. I also added the rear filler caps using the same process as above.

IMG_2410-X5.jpg

The two finished tanks. Much work has gone into these!

IMG_2409-4K.jpg

Under a coat of paint, the welded seams look good.

IMG_2418-X5.jpg

The front of each of the tank pylons should be curved inward. To accomplish this, I made a few small cuts.

IMG_2416-X4.jpg

IMG_2415-X4.jpg

I used chipping fluid to apply a bit of weathering to the front of each tank. Still not sold on the idea. Visible in the pic is some modification happening to the inner pylons, with new sway braces.  Ore on that later.

IMG_2430-X5.jpg

Where the jet sits at the moment. Lots to do but getting there.

IMG_2429-X5.jpg

Edited by ericg