USAF F-100D FINISHED!

ericg

Thanks for the comments guys.

some more work.

I asked Ron about the configuration of the ordnance. Some photos show Napalm on the outer pylons, some show them on the inners. Likewise for the bombs. Here is what he had to say.

‘One of the photos shows a typical load, (and the one used on the mission we have spoken about) with 2 Mk82 high drag bombs on the outboard stations, and 2 Napalm cans on the inboard stations.  Second photo shows me just before a combat mission in late 1968.  Third photo is unusual.  In late 1968 our squadron (615th TFS) was made experimental.  We were to try out what was called Triple Ejector Racks (TER).  Instead of a single weapon on the inboard pylons, this new rack could carry 3 bombs.  Couldn't carry 3 napalm cans because that would make the aircraft too heavy and the cans were to "fat" to fit on the racks.  Thought you might like to see this configuration.’

Here are the pics.

ACD2E1C5-B1B7-4EDF-9133-E68CA75C3A8B-X5.

AC83641D-DF37-4C3C-B0FE-AC5B51553346-4K.

And here is the excellent pic of Ron about to depart on a combat mission.

C25F03B9-CCB1-4553-90E2-88DB2E3087FC-X4.

As the bombs were to go on the outer pylons, my references showed that they were different to the kit pylons. There are protrusions each side of the pylon which form more beefed up sway braces, so these were scratch built from thick plastic card and sanded to shape. I then used brass rod and disks of plastic card to make up each individual brace. The bombs have had brass rod inserted into them to attach them very firmly to each pylon.

IMG_2259-X5.jpg

Basic colours. I will weather and detail these a lot more than this.

IMG_2282-X5.jpg

Many of my period reference pics of combat jets show them with numerous lift point symbols. These decals were not present in both the kit or the aftermarket Cam Pro stencil data sheet. I made up a mask with my mask cutter and sprayed them on.

IMG_2267-X5.jpg

Forward fuselage. There is one on the rear of the canopy as well.

IMG_2281-X5.jpg

Rear fuselage. I was able to find a pic with two lift point symbols on the horizontal stabilisers but was unable to find anything for the wings, if they were there. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_2278-X5.jpg

How the model sits on my workbench. Still lots to do but certainly getting there. Noticeable is the armament panel decal, once again not in either decal sheets. I found one in the AoA set for the Cessna O-2.

IMG_2277-X5.jpg

Edited by ericg

Some more pics from Ron

His explanation for the first one is as below.

`Carrying 2 napalm cans inboard WAS used operationally, but as I pointed out, it made the a/c very heavy and sluggish.  Most often we carried MK82 500 pound bombs on the inboard TERs.  I can recall a few times when the runway temperature was critical in whether or not they would let us takeoff with such a heavy load.  We sometimes sat idling for 15 -20 minutes waiting for a one degree drop in the temperature so we could roll - and then, who knew if we had enough runway or not?  If the afterburner blew out, it would have been all over.  As you know, it was rather hot and humid in Vietnam.'

thumbnail_Ron%27s%20Pictures%20024%20TER

thumbnail_Ron%27s%20Pictures%20026%20F-1

Some more work. I asked Ron if he had his name on the side of the aircraft. He told me over a couple of emails the following: 

The color schemes varied.  Sometimes dark olive background with white letters.  Other times, blue background and white letters.  In my memory, I believe that 197 had the solid dark olive background with white letters.  The name was as follows:  CAPT RON SWANSON.  That would have been placed just below the front windscreen on the fuselage.

It didn't have pilot on it, although some did.  With regard to the issue of the name plate being on both sides of the a/c, more often the name of the crew chief appeared on the right side of the cockpit.  As I recall, there was no name plate on the right side of the cockpit of 197.

After a bit of research, I settled on my best guess as to what this would have looked like. There were many different variations on the name plate, both in position and size, as well as text. I had to balance these items with the limits of my mask cutter. After many attempts, this is what I came up with.

IMG_2305_heic-4K.jpg

IMG_2306-X5.jpg

The model is really starting to come together. Enjoying this build alot.

IMG_2310-X5.jpg

IMG_2314-4K.jpg 

Amazing work!   One question - I thought the pilot said that his name was painted on an olive background?    Regardless, this is a great build, really love all the background info you’ve provided.   

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

7 hours ago, John1 said:

Amazing work!   One question - I thought the pilot said that his name was painted on an olive background?    Regardless, this is a great build, really love all the background info you’ve provided.   

Nice pickup. Whilst researching the build, I decided to go with the green that I used based upon the photo below. As I am using a dark brown wash over the panel lines, the area that I have painted the name has become tinted and appears a bit more olive than in the harsh light that I use when the photo was taken.

f-100d_63163-11%20%281%29-X3.jpg