Spitfire MkVb to MkIX conversion 1/24 349 sqn

red Dog

If you do add the fuel tank armour, the front edge is almost flush with the cowling. I did it on a 1/32 Mk1 several years ago, and used the thinnest Plasticard I had and thinned it gently towards the cowling.

John

EDIT. That’s the front edge at the top only.

Edited by Biggles87

Thanks Richard.

I guess I deal with that frustration with longer pauses than usual, that's why that Spitfire takes much longer than any other model :)

I need all the motivation I can get and many times you guys support really helps me facing the next challenge.

Thanks for the kind words

This morning I woke up and I felt like punching a few rivets ...

:D

Spit_mkIX_24_105.png

Armed with a good rivet drawing, a divider, rosie the riveter 1mm, a needle, a pencil and a lot of templates I went to work.

Spit_mkIX_24_106.png

I use dymo tape when I want to stop the rivet line precisely. I found out that trying to do it by the eye gives real bad results

After a few hours, I completed the right wing. Brushed some black acrylics and rub it, hoping to make the rivets more visible.

Spit_mkIX_24_108.png

I had to compromise a couple lines, more especially around the flap indicator door which is badly placed (and too large)

Most of the rest went fine and matched the rivet drawing I used :

Here's the naked left wing, for comparison. Soon to be rivetted as well, but that's for another day :)

Spit_mkIX_24_109.png

Edited by red Dog

Rivetting is boring and yet addictive :)

Second week end with that needle and wheel in my hands and I only finished both wings.

Spit_mkIX_24_110.png

It's far from the rivetting quality I have seen from my pairs but I will live with it. I think ultimately if you really want quality rivet work you may consider to work only with a needle and avoid the wheel use. But I'm not brave enough for that yet. 

Spit_mkIX_24_111.png

Luckily I can add some details like hinges, positive rivets, bumps and the PE flaps made for the Trumpeter MkVs
They need to be slighly modified but fit reasonnably well and the small cut won't be much visible. 

Spit_mkIX_24_112.png

The glue applicator really became useful in assembling the flaps, especially for the very tiny ribs.

I had the thing on my bench for quite a while and almost regretted buying it, but not anymore. It was really easier to use than my usual toothpick method for gluing these tiny PE parts

Spit_mkIX_24_114.png

Spit_mkIX_24_113.png

I know flaps are not supposed to be down on Spitfire, but this one will be an exception

insert "here" whatever excuse you like :)

Now that the wings are finished I can concentrate on the fuselage and that's not the easiest part due to holding the model stable as you punch these rivets

Can't wait to start painting honestly 

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful progress.  I take my hat off to you doing this conversion.  This is a job in itself just building the kit alone.  But to do all the mods and conversion....amazing!  Keep up the great work!

I am following in admiration!

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both of you. That was exactly the motivation I needed to get back on the bench to try to progress on the project :)

Much appreciated

More work on the starboard flaps:

The 2 part moveable flaps have been assembled.

These are initially designed for the trumpeter kits but modification to fit the airfix kit is minimal. Most of the mods are needed around the area where the flap go through the wing and opens a small door when they are down. 

Here are the flaps assembled

Spit_mkIX_24_115.png

The rods are still too long and the hinges aren't glued yet

Spit_mkIX_24_116.png

And a dry fit on the wing, the inner small flap doesn't fit perfectly but this is very easy to fix.

The inner flap has no wall and it's normal to see inside the fuselage, but it seems I didn't plan for that when I scratchbuilt the cockpit walls and I'll need to make them fit better before attaching the flaps.

Happy to see some real progress rather than rivetting and panel line. Still have to do the port flaps and rivets on the fuselage. 

Thank for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Worked a bit on the tail sections:

I cut the elevators so I can display them down, I cut the trim actuators and I will add a small rod between the two sections.

Then the stabs were rivetted

Spit_mkIX_24_117.png 

The rudder is part of the heritage resin conversion as I needed the tall pointy one for this model. It's very rough and full of bubble. 
The rudder trim tab was cut so it can be placed at ana angle, the trim actuator was redone in scratch. 
The tail light was also added and the whole thing was sanded down.

Spit_mkIX_24_119.png

Still need a lot of finer sanding.
On the other side the rudder actuator was made, it was non existent, the angle is not good, but that's because the rudder is too angled. 

Spit_mkIX_24_118.png

Finally I took the decision to add the fuel tank armor plate with that 0.3mm plasticard. It's then sanded down so it's almost flush with the engine cowling in the front

Spit_mkIX_24_120_armor.png

Next comes the fuselage rivetting.

I scaled the drawings to 1/24 scale and cut them by groups of panels. 
Then I taped these on the model and from there, it was simply a matter of rolling the rivet wheel on the printed rivets.

I started with the front fuselage under the armor plate and worked my way to the tail, alternating rivet wheel and the rivet needle where appropriate.

Spit_mkIX_24_121_fus_rivets.png

Spit_mkIX_24_122_fus_rivets.png

Spit_mkIX_24_126_fus_rivets.png

This is zoomed in quite close and a lot of problems are still visible - most of them you don't see with the naked eye.

The result is very subtle as the rivet wheel need to first go through the paper thickness. But that's exactly what I wanted.

The risk is that the paper moves under the pressure of the wheel. When that happens you end up with curved rivet lines which then will need to be sanded and redone. This happenned on the radio door because the paper template was smaller. It was very visible and no way I could leave it curved. 

But when the templates are larger and well taped, it is not so much of a concern

Spit_mkIX_24_123_fus_rivets.png   

Working my way to the tail.
And below the result:

Spit_mkIX_24_124_fus_rivets.png

Spit_mkIX_24_125_tail_rivets.png

A few corrections here and there are needed, but all in all I'm happy with the results

Off to the other side and then the nose section...

Edited by red Dog

• 3 weeks later...

I think I see light at the end of the tunnel…

After weeks … months of engraving, rivetting, correcting, sanding and rivetting sompe more I'm almost ready to paint this.

Seeing her in this stage is now a great motivation factor

Spit_mkIX_24_127_readypaint.png

The tail elements and the canopy (reversed) and the spinner and the exhausts and the access door are all blue tacked for now.
I'm not convinced with the windscreen. Seems something is off but I can't really see what… I'll need to study that issue some more.

Spit_mkIX_24_128_readypaint.png

Spit_mkIX_24_129_readypaint.png

Spit_mkIX_24_133_readypaint.png

Spit_mkIX_24_135_readypaint.png

Spit_mkIX_24_134_readypaint.png