KH OV-10A Pave Nail

daveculp

55 minutes ago, Finn said:

I don't know if you have seen this article:

https://www.afhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2011_spring.pdf

scroll down a bit, about the Pave Nail in SEA, no cockpit views but a good look at the pod is there.

Jari

Yes, I saw that once, and should have printed a copy.  The markings on these airplanes are a bit different than in the color photo I've seen.  One interesting thing about these photos is they show you CAN fit the RHAW gear and LORAN antenna on at the same time. 

Getting near the finish line! 

AlmostDone.jpg

I've replaced the LORAN antenna wire, then added the HF antenna, both using nylon/polyester thread from Sew-ology.  The two FM antennas are music wire, size 0.015.

Good thing the kit comes with eight spoilers even though you'll never see more than four at a time.  I did a bad job painting the first set, so instead of re-doing them I just started over with the next four.

I had ordered a metal pitot tube, then realized that if I'm going to cover it I can just use the kit's plastic part.  The cover is Tamiya tape painted olive drab, Experts-Choice remove before flight flag, and white thread.

The navigation lights were difficult to install - lots of sanding and shaving on both the lights and the wing.  I painted the lights the appropriate color then realized the inner portion (nearest the wing) should probably be painted white (i.e. wing color).

The spinners on this 23rd TASS airplane are decorated with a huge number of small yellow darts, as found in the AOA decal set.  Of the twelve fiddly little decals eleven survived the application process.  I had to cut out some replacement darts using some spare yellow decal.

spinner.jpg

The cargo door is installed, along with the telescoping gust lock that attaches to the left boom.

CargoDoor.jpg

The laser/TV designator system is painted and installed in the aft cockpit.  The gust lock strap is attached to the pilot's stick.  The five steps are installed, but they don't look good.  I should print up some new ones for my next Bronco kit.

cockpit.jpg

The large retractable step is cut from the kit part.  I drilled a hole in the fuselage and inserted the step, then used some card stock to make the hinge/fairing bit just forward of the step.

The kit comes with two each of the rearmost windows.  One is plain and the other has a horizontal line molded in.  I believe the molded line is not supposed to be there - it represents a large bracket / wiring harness loom that some airplanes had inside the window at that position.

Long day today!  Entered my first modeling contest - got a second place award in my division :)

2nd.jpg

One thing I haven't mentioned before - the left side windows don't have bungees to hold them open.  The rear-left window is rarely opened.  The pilot's left window has a short gust lock rod, so it is usually seen open only about 20 degrees or so.

side-outside.jpg

A good look at the laser pod here.  I originally 3D printed the glass bit using a transparent resin, but the objects yellowed right away, so I then printed them using grey resin and tried to cast transparent copies in a silicone mold.  That would probably have worked if it wasn't my first feeble attempt at silicone mold casting.  I ended up using the least-yellowed of the original transparent prints.

Also, I think the "barrel strap" looking rings on the external fuel tanks look a bit too thick.  I probably should have sanded them down a bit.

cargo-door-flash.jpg

A flash photo of the cargo door showing the gust lock device and the canvas bag (which I think was used to hold the gear pins).

rear-flash.jpg

Flash photo of the rear showing the cargo door telescoping gust lock.

boxed.jpg

• 1 month later...

One more Pave Nail photo - found in one of my late father's scrapbooks.  I don't know the people in the photo, nor the date.  The airplane is definitely a Pave Nail airplane of the 23rd TASS.  What I don't see is any evidence of the WSO's TV/laser equipment.  It looks like a RHAW scope is attached to the top of the pilot's IP shroud.

PaveNail.jpg

• 1 year later...

EDIT, one year later:

I've recently learned that the squat switch (a.k.a air-ground switch or safety switch) is on the left main gear only.  Every model I've seen of the OV-10 has squat switches on both main gear struts.  The right one needs to be cut off - which is a bit of a challenge when using brass replacement struts.