Revell 1/32 Bf109G-6 to G-14 blue 62

zaxos345

Good morning guys,

Spending my summer time on a greek island, serving on a fire fighting alert with my ''dromader''...

uQeD12Rl.jpg

i put aside my A-7H Corsair build  

and i chose to deal with a new project ...Revell's 1/32 Bf-109 G-6. I chose to build a not so usual subject, Blue 62 from Barracuda decals, which actually is a G-14 model. Please, keep that in mind during the build as i may need your help regarding any differences or remarks!!

nx8BAPjl.jpg

j3WSLGhl.jpg 

It is not going to be an OOB build, as i have bought some aftermarket items in order to build the model as accurate as i can!!

One of these items is Eduard's brassin cockpit...

kU7GEgbl.png

which is very good with a lot of details and improvements, but not without problems as i will show you later.... 

So..the cockpit first...the floor and the side panels...

zXWPvyBl.jpg

4UZxLyLl.jpg

xmkXYcBl.jpg

And i added some details...

yHCfxkSl.jpg

MRHZoRjl.jpg

About the floor and the overall fit....

First of all, if you follow the eduard instructions while assembling the cockpit, it leaves an about 2 mm gap on the front. Actually both side panels are longer than the revell ones...so instead of trimming anything and damage the overall engineering, i added an evergreen strip to the front and a small strip to the rear on the fuselage and i was able to (dry fit) assemble the cockpit and also to acheive a perfect fit!

Here you can see the revell cockpti tub...excellent engineering...you can see the small tubs where the cocpit floor sits on...(disregard the white tub, this is for the brassin cockpit)

wWDGMBrl.jpg

gsCjo1fl.jpg

cNatOoel.jpg

Here is my mod....

jT3VxMsl.jpg

EzEZEGjl.jpg

hcPOtZal.jpg

Edited by zaxos345

Here before the mods....

4XnJ9afl.jpg

and here after the mods...

sE2odeql.jpg

Now about the rear part with the battery compartmet...you can see how it sits in regard with the fuselage...which is acceptable if you use the two part canopy. But i want to use the Elra one, and the part there is completelly flat...

You can also see the small gap the battery cover leaves if you put it in the right place...

AmFSh6kl.jpg

OeTtB1Al.jpg

JR1xrbil.jpg

Here is the real thing...

gUsSdNEl.jpg

t9zyWIll.jpg

So i made a new one with evergreen...

vx2Ro2bl.jpg

ZsrPqdkl.jpg

VqvzOjKl.jpg

D64MlUpl.jpg

the lanyard...to secure the canopy in the open position...

eAs7i9al.jpg

And the Radub's excellent erla style PE canopy...

clx85M3l.jpg

aTsKFXCl.jpg

SqNf2zRl.jpg

B59nxu4l.jpg

4GBbDXvl.jpg

The armored panel...

vzSGgy8l.jpg

oFftiDnl.jpg

The gunshight...

l4fnhm3l.jpg

The windscreen...

o9wxIaQl.jpg

cfOVawRl.jpg

and the two canditates for the instrument panel... I like the yahu one but you have to modify some things in order to acheive a perfect fit. I think i will take my chances with the eduard one, which in fact is better in my opinion, more detail and more crisp, using the airscales german instrument faces.

dy1Vp90l.jpg

Thats all for now folks, hope you like it.

Please if you have any suggestions regarding the build and the G-14 mark...i am all ears!!!

John

Guest Vincent
45 minutes ago, zaxos345 said:

Thank you very much Vincent!!!! Do i heve to put any dial face to that? What was that for??

John

Hi

Yes, there was a dial on that instrument. It is the MW50 boost pressure gauge :

WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Druckmesser-Pressur

The G14 was equipped with the MW50 water methanol injection system so this gage had to be added. It was also on the G10 but not on the G6. On the K4 the gauge was located on the main instrument panel

Guest Vincent
3 minutes ago, zaxos345 said:

Thank you very much Vincent.

Was this MW50 water methanol injection system was somehow labeled somewhere on the aircraft fuselage??

John

Yes, there was a filler hatch on the right side of the fuselage with a stencil :

D-48-001.jpg

and there was a drain under the fuselage

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening guys,

Some progress to show...

First of all i added the MW50 boost pressure gauge on the left side of the cockpit, as Vincent pointed out...

MFiMNiyl.jpg
v7VeF9Zl.jpg

I also received Alley cat's correct gun covers...

OxrJaXyl.jpg

Before start dealing with painting the cockpit i sanded down as much as i could the exhaust covers...

EhUHigdl.jpg
MBSxYaUl.jpg
PSanSGzl.jpg
8IHR9Sgl.jpg

I have to paint the exhaust before gluing them from inside to the fuselage sides. Thats a bit of a problem during the painting process, but nothing that cant be done.

and time to paint the cockpit...First i applied a coat of ak aluminium, chipping medium and finally gunze's RLM66. 

wFdHgm4l.jpg
v8z7EZXl.jpg
C2Me8Oal.jpg
1rILEcal.jpg
qlgsl2Pl.jpg
NgFiBXwl.jpg
3ZAh45Fl.jpg

Waiting for the parts to dry i dealt with the instrument panel. I chose the resign one from eduard. First i carefully painted the dial details, then i punched the dial faces from airscale's exeptional decals and finally i added small clear sheet faces on top.

T0GvzM8l.jpg
HpORHsvl.jpg
J611CQbl.jpg
DtmOo7Al.jpg
lSIpQp7l.jpg

Little light wash and dry brush and here it is next to yahu's one...i like it better!

Q6rBBl7l.jpg

Next on detailing the cockpit....

HD11TLkl.jpg
LbsbSpal.jpg
wonrDO8l.jpg
Cmdup8Gl.jpg
Zbp2L2Jl.jpg
kh6Euw9l.jpg
MTUEdxMl.jpg
glCuASjl.jpg

Excellent Radub's seat belts...

1wUhD8fl.jpg
SAAakuel.jpg

First run for ak's real colors gloss varnish...really excellent staff (thinned with leveling thinner, true opponent for my favourite X-22 from tamiya)

stHwnXEl.jpg

Wash, weathering, matt varnish and final weathering...

SIv5Gggl.jpg
D9GeFANl.jpg
CmdLcxYl.jpg
PacSFaLl.jpg
ju0pClgl.jpg
3LJKqTnl.jpg
KDsoudKl.jpg
e2hlvmQl.jpg

dtNjtBI.jpg

And finally the exhausts, first shot with alclad exhast manifold and then treated with rubb n' buff spanish copper, finally little black with mig's black smoke weathering pigments

AicZgSCl.jpg
067SbE5l.jpg
aSCU34wl.jpg

That;s all folks, hope you like it...

Next with cockpit installation....

All the best,

John

Edited by zaxos345