Last and (nearly) First!

mozart

28 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Max, that is always a great moment when the main airframe comes together.

Indeed Brian, especially when it's as "clean" as this one has proved to be, with just the merest amount of fettling - quite an impressive kit really.  I'm surprised though just how big it is (relatively speaking of course!). I'll be looking forward to putting a coat of paint on her. 

• 1 month later...

The Hunter is off to the paintshop shortly, having had her coat of primer:

6KXVqv.jpg

so it's time to think about the other half of the dual build, the Sea Fury!  Just looking (dare I say fondling?!) the resin casting makes me go all funny.  I'll start as usual with the cockpit - the quality and fineness of the moulding is really quite staggering.  I mean, resin cast control cables on the rudder pedals which are as fine as extruded sprue.  Thoughtfully Paul includes more than one part where such fine detail exists, I guess to allow for less than perfect copies or, more likely, hamfisted modelling!

AtINMU.jpg

That cockpit really does look the business, it's a shame that the Sea Fury has largely been ignored by the "majors", hopefully the SH one will correct that. I did build the Hobbycraft one and the finished article is most impressive, but not exactly detailed !

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

That cockpit really does look the business, it's a shame that the Sea Fury has largely been ignored by the "majors", hopefully the SH one will correct that. I did build the Hobbycraft one and the finished article is most impressive, but not exactly detailed !

Cheers

Dennis

I didn't know SH were planning a Sea Fury Dennis, but I think they'll have to go some to produce as fine a kit as the Fisher one, though of course not everybody likes resin, you included I believe?  They could do worse than use Paul Fisher's kit as a pattern!

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Can't wait to see the Hunter crossing the finish line! The Sea Fury looks

evenly promising - will certainly follow this one with a lot of interest as well.

Cheers,

Lothar

Thanks Lothar, I've started the dark green camouflage this afternoon, had to order some MRP Dark Sea Grey, but then I'm in no hurry.  I think I'll probably do all of the painting including roundels at this stage before getting on to the undercarriage.  I think one of my bottles of Dark Green has gone past its "use by date" (if such thing is possible!) because it sprayed in a most peculiar manner; puddling, spidering and thin even at my normal pressure settings and nozzle distance!  I've gone over the painted areas with another bottle and it's much better. :wacko:

41 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

The Hunter is coming along nicely Max, looks like a very clean build under a coat of primer. That resin cockpit looks absolutely exquisite, will be watching with interest.

Regards. Andy

My model making is like my cooking Andy; has to be concise, neat and clean with cleared surfaces and organised work places!!  Shipshape and Bristol fashion I say! :)  I hope I can do the Sea Fury justice, there's a good chance I'll be paying a visit or two to the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton which fortunately is just 20 minutes away from me.

So she's getting her coat of paint, all's coming along quite nicely.  I usually freehand camouflage but since this one had a hard-edge finish I made masks out of Frisket film, worked a treat:

8VKkOz.jpg
Tw8G2o.jpg

NXLgkE.jpg

A bit more to do in places but I needed to start thinking about exactly which plane I'm doing, within the 56 Squadron scenario.  The standard Revell markings are for XF387 but because I'm not using their decals much I decided to do XF516, a Hunter which flew with several squadrons in its long life time, but which sadly ended up in the sea off the coast of North Wales whilst en route to a display in N Ireland - apparently one generator was duff when she took off and the other packed up shortly afterwards.  The pilot ejected safely but was injured.

So masks were drawn and cut:

eXG2JX.jpg

I even attempted the squadron's Firebird emblem:

WGAaZ1.jpg
gHNnOU.jpg

kLOxZE.jpg

but after all my effort it was too small to use, being only 8mm from wingtip to wingtip!  Interesting exercise though for future reference.

On a different tack, I've cleaned up the G-Factor undercarriage legs in anticipation of getting her up on her pins!

eUyIIq.jpg

Hopefully I have a couple of days free for modelling this week so I should be able to crack on.

Edited by mozart