Last and (nearly) First!

mozart

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Take care with the fitting though - it does need some cutting here and there to get the walls to fit the sides properly. 

Thanks Mike, that’s one of my concerns which is why I’m doing this bit of the build very gingerly! Still no guarantees of a perfect fit though. :unsure:

I’m thinking of getting the Flightpath gun pack set for my Hunter, any thoughts or experience with that Mike?

Edited by mozart

As with many resin cockpits, it seems this one is going to be a tight fit.  Using Liquitape for a temporary fit, I put in the port wall, then the main tub and closed the fuselage sides together:

sCs4Wn.jpg

No room for the starboard cockpit wall:

zRrnBA.jpg

and then underneath:

e0XZCC.jpg
Ku3V2R.jpg

so it seems a little judicious butchery may be in order! :crying:

Well it wasn't too tear jerking, a little bit of filing here, a snip or two there, a scrape in between and voila, it fits ok! :thumbsup:

Edited by mozart

On 7/21/2019 at 7:49 AM, mozart said:

Thanks Mike, that’s one of my concerns which is why I’m doing this bit of the build very gingerly! Still no guarantees of a perfect fit though. :unsure:

I’m thinking of getting the Flightpath gun pack set for my Hunter, any thoughts or experience with that Mike?

Sorry Max, I've no experience of that one.  I assume it allows the gun pack to be shown separately and off the aeroplane.  Personally, I think any model looks better "buttoned up" so it captures the line and sit of the aircraft, but that's just my preference, your model so your call.

39 minutes ago, mozart said:

hopefully employing some of my rather rusty artistic skills! :huh: 

As if! You're a damn sight better at it then i am lol

• 3 weeks later...

Time to show that I've not been entirely neglecting my latest build efforts, though I have been diverted researching Lightning pictures and schemes I must admit!

Anyway, the cockpit painting's coming along quite nicely, a tiny bit of colour here and there plus a couple of placards to add, though from photographs that I've seen there was precious little in red warning lights and labels.  

I'm using Ted Taylor's build as a guidance, those of you more experienced with Revell's kits will know that their instructions leave a lot to be desired when it comes to clarity! One useful point that Ted makes with the air intake assembly is to glue the side walls only along their mating edge with the central trunking, thus giving flexibility when the front edges have to engage with the forward fuselage area.  Good tip!! :D

q4JBCH.jpg
FqNilf.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about the aft end; I'm using a Mk 9 kit which features a parabrake housing behind the rudder, but I'm representing a Mk 6 of 56 squadron which didn't have the parabrakes fitted.  However, redefining (read "butchering") the top aft fuselage isn't by any means a simple straightforward job.....time consuming is the least of the (potential) difficulties which may arise.  Suck it and see I guess........:piliot: